I Forge Iron

recomended mobile anvil stand as in how close to a timer sunk in the ground can you get

I by necessity have to have a modular mobile forge set up just bc now and then we bring the odd mower or kicker wagon or tractor into the shop and you have to clear the decks to get the floor space as a result most of my tools are on wheels of one sort or another or are at least movable with a dolly
so long story short i am looking for suggestions for the best of both worlds here dose anyone out there have what they think is a good workable anvil stand for a 150lb or so anvil
i have finished up or am finishing up most the the ongoing projects and look to have a few days of bad weather and free time coming up
well thanks for you time all
wyatt

Wyatt, in my shop, my 250# Trenton sets on a stand made from 2X12s. It has a 1/2" plywood bottom on it and I filled it with sand. It makes a very stable stand, quiets the ring and is portable, if need be. I secured the anvil by cutting a piece of 2x to each side at the top of the stand, cut to fit the radius on the side of the anvil. Here's a couple of pics. Hope this helps. :)

post-1549-0-17342100-1326387949_thumb.jp post-1549-0-64677300-1326387967_thumb.jp

that is one nice looking anvil and a nice looking stand thanks for the photos
i need a bit more mobility in the anvil i have some lockable wheels from a set of scaffolding i am thinking about making a three point stand with those at the base
as well i am hoping down the line to upgrade to a 250+ anvil so i intend to over build a bit when i make this stand lol

Edited by Bigred1o1

I wouldn't put the stand on casters because of the inherent flex between all of the various parts. But, if you put the wheels on the side so that they contact the ground when the stand is tilted just a few degrees (like on a hand truck/dolly) it would be workable.

Read this thread on my post vise stand. Same approach for anvil should work also. I have one in the works that will be longer so the anvil and post vise will use the same stand.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/23445-my-post-vise-based-on-brian-and-lyles-vise/page__view__findpost__p__238288

As for mobility, just add wheels something like this.

http://www.happyvalleyranch.com/node/45

I agree with VaughnT, I wouldn't put it on casters either...even if the wheels do lock. When I need to move mine I just tip the stand a bit and move it with a handtruck/dolly. I have a similar stand to CurlyGeorge's except my anvil is secured with chains so it won't move when tipped. My anvil is a little smaller at 100 lb but it should still work just fine with a bigger/heavier anvil.

Here are what some other people have done. Making a tripod that you can slid a hand truck under, or the wheels that can drop like shown above, or that a mule can fit under and lift would work pretty good.

A tripod fastened to the ground is pretty darn solid.

Phil