I Forge Iron

Heat treat information

Ah; I was talking about amount of steel (cross sectional area). not diameter; sorry I should have made that clearer.  (I have to point out to students that 1/2 sq stock has 4 times the amount of steel as 1/4" sq stock---I have some short lengths that they can stack up and *see* the difference...)

I was able to easily find commercial door springs of .625 which would exceed the tine's (3.14159) x .25 x .25 = .1963   vs (3.14159) x .3125 x .3125 = .306 I'm not going to dig into harder to find sources of larger stock as it's meaningless---- using what you already have is  definitely the way to go.  

Will you be differentially tempering them to get more  abrasion resistance on the contact face?

TP, abrasion resistance is generally not an issue at the edge. Chasing tool edges are generally polished, eg finished on a 3M wheel, as a final step. Periodically touching up the edge on the grinder and polishing wheel is expected. I’m just having to do it too often so I want to get a better heat treat. Always trying to get better and there is so much room...