I Forge Iron

First post : old & new Anvil

• 2 weeks later...

all i can tell you is the bigger one is a north germany pattern, you can tell cause the horn has a smooth transition into the face of the anvil and i may be cast steel but dont quote me on that

The anvil you call a North-German pattern isn't a North-German pattern. It's an 80 kg (~175lbs) Austrian pattern, also known as the bohemian pattern.
Also the smooth transition on a double horned German anvil would indicate a Southern-German pattern. The North-German pattern doesn't have the smooth transition and is "fatter/ bit more blockier" than the Southern-German pattern.

Look it up if you don't believe me.

i believe your right on northern southern part i get those two mixed up. But dont austrian anvils have a sloped side, i thought that was what made the pattern "austrian". but now that i really look at it the base def looks austrian. Good call, and eye

i believe your right on northern southern part i get those two mixed up. But dont austrian anvils have a sloped side, i thought that was what made the pattern "austrian". but now that i really look at it the base def looks austrian. Good call, and eye

I was told the sloped side was just a feature on anvils, like some German anvils have upsetting blockes and other don't.

I also did some more research and this anvil, the same 80kg version, can be bought at the Angele (yes it is spelt this way) Maschinenbau. They make about everything you would want in the shop. They even sell the Hofi anvil, hammer etc.

This is their site:

angele.de

when you're there, click on "SHOP". It directs you to their shop (in German), so you have to click on the American/British flag which is in the right upper corner of the screen and everything will be translated into English.

Only needed if you can't speak/read German.

I'm glad I can speak and read German! :lol:

Thank you guys,

You just confirm that I have done a good deal. That's 80kg and not pounds. I just put the anvil on the scale and is 170pounds.

Not bad for $200 !!! :-))))))

That's exactly mine : http://www.angele-sh...s-bohemian-form

Well, it only weighs 3kg less than what it's supposed to be, not bad for a cast. I've seen bigger differences in them.

Only 200$ for that one? That ain't a bad deal at all. They cost €500+ and the euro is still worth a bit more than the dollar, still a lot of money though.
I wonder who ordered it or has taken it to Canada.

By the way, the link to your anvil doesn't work. It doesn't direct you all the way to the anvils, probably a setting on Angele's site.