I Forge Iron

A pendant for a witch

Old N Rusty

Every year about this time there will be a customer wanting a hand forged Christmas gift, something unusual, something nice and done quickly. This year I was approached by a gentleman who wanted a small Wrought Iron pendant for his lady friend who is a practicing witch. It had to be made from W.I. as that is the "blood" of the Earth. Bet you dint know that. We settled on an arrowhead shape with a five point star chiseled into it. The point was to be bent down, and looped, to hook on a chain. The wide end was scrolled up and could hook on a chain, belt, or serve as a cloak hook. The pendant was about 1-1/2 " long and 3/4 " wide before bending. As it was so important that this be made from W.I. I showed the client the spark test using some old wrought plate from a 17th century French gate I had restored, we chose to make it from that. He was serious about wanting this made....$100.00 serious! Another job well done,and filed under WIERD.

I`d like to see a pic too.
What was the significance of the arrowhead?
For our tradition Water is the blood of the Earth and the use of iron in a magick charm or amulet precludes you from using certain energy as it is repellent to some spirits and energies. Iron is best used in protection from these things.
I make a lot of magick/Pagan oriented items from copper and copper alloys such as bronze.
That 5 pointed star is called a Pentagram and when surrounded by a circle it becomes a Peyton or Pentacle which is the most most widely accepted symbol of those practicing Wicca or Witchcraft. That symbol will be the one the government provides for my tombstone as a Pagan veteran when I pass into the Summerland.

Happy holidays to you all. To my Pagan brothers and sisters,Yuletide blessings and Merry Solstice.
May the Light be with us all.

Hey ! so sorry about no pics. The thing was small , dark , (gun blue + beeswax finish) , and gone as soon as I finished it. I asked no questions about the significance of the shape, I just made it as sketched. Besides our old diggy cam dont do close-up or zoom . One day, but most importantly I have very limited patience with computers, if I had half of the trouble posting pics as I read about here I would likely put a fist through this monitor.

A description is the best I can provide : a triangle 3/4" on the short leg 1-1/2" to the point. Forged from 1/8" W.I. thin on all three sides the middle left thick. It took a bit of practice and wasted iron before I found out what heat to work this material and especially when to STOP hammering. It forges best just short of welding heat. you must stop no colder than orange, it will crack. Lay the piece on the step of the anvil with the flat side away from you and with five sure hits on a 3/8" cape chisel make a star. then the point should be rolled down to form a hook and the wide end turned up and rolled almost closed to form another hook. I filed the edges smooth and wire wheel brushed the whole thing before the gun blue bath for a couple of minits then I rinsed it in water,and hot waxed it with beeswax.