I Forge Iron

Tree Rail

Dillon Sculpture

I think it ok for him to show work in his portfolio that he did for a previous employer if he gives credit where credit is due. He will need to be generating new work though or else it wont be long before the only thing he can say is look what I did a long time ago... Those pictures are something for him to be proud of being a part of for the rest of his life though.
smith out

danger thats lovely work! i m amazed by the top rail - its beautiful, and the way the railings end... the colors look fabulous too. bet it all feels beautiful... i totally think you should be credited on those pictures - why would he not ? your work speaks wonderfully for itself, but your name on it would be good for business eh! ?

Dillon, You make a good point. I am kind of in the same boat but on the end of your former employee. I worked for a large company for 17 years and use a link to there web site on mine. 50% of the work show there is work is I was involved with. It does represent work I have done and am capable of doing. I have often wondered on the ethics of doing this. All though in my case I do not take full credit for it being all my work and keep there company name for advertising for them. He should do the same for you too.

Each and every time I used pics of work I did while drawing a check from someplace other than directly from the customer I made sure it was noted that the person I was talking to understood that "This was work done as an employee of XYZ" or "This was done as a subcontractor for XYZ". It`s always been my personal approach to state when I was not working alone and if I used someone else`s facilities, machines or gear and need those things to reproduce the work shown.
That level of honesty still allows me to buy time on machines and borrow gear from places I used to work with. It also keeps former employers calling to ask if I`d like to subcontract.

Sounds like it may be time to explain the definition of a symbiotic relationship to your former employee Mike.