I Forge Iron

Book on Gun Smithing/Barrel Forging

chichi

I am in the process of forging a flintlock barrel and a friend referred me to the book,"Quest for the Indian Trade Gun" by Robert Heath.
I would strongly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the process of hand forging barrels. Maybe not too surprising, there were many ways to forge a barrel and the book describes several processes well.The author reveals some counter intuitive tips about the barrel making process. There is also a good discussiion about forge welding, the historical methods of iron making and other smithing topics. That is all in addition to the research the author did on about 20 different barrel remnants found at various historic sites. His research covers the quality of the wrought, type of weld, size and bore of each specimen, and the likely source of the barrel-English, French, etc.
A good read!
BTW, I do not sell or have a financial interest in this book.

The video, "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" shows Wallace Gusler forge welding a barrel. He works from the middle toward both ends. The skelp is rounded in the middle of the length for a little distance and welded, a helper holding a tapered mandrel inside while the hammering is going on. There is no tapered scarf preparation, as that would tend to leave hot shuts on the inside. It is a butt weld. The mandrel is loosened and removed between welds. Each welding heat overlaps the previous one a little. I'm not a gunsmith, but I had an opportunity to try this method.

A number of years ago, Turner Kirkland of Dixie Gun Works called me and wanted a barrel made showing the progression of the forging process on one barrel. He wanted it to use it as an educational display for his "log cabin gunsmiths' museum." He wanted 6" of flat skelp stock showing on one end. The next six inches would show the swaged and rolled portion with the seam showing, but not welded. The following six inches were welded to a rounding shape but with hammer marks. The next portion was hammer forged into an octagon. The last six inches would show the octagonal shape draw-filed smooth and drilled smooth inside. I was able to do this for Kirkland and had a local man engrave it to him. Fortunately, I had some Swedish charcoal iron saved and was able to reduce it on the trip hammer to about 3/8" thick for the job. There was quite a bit of scale and spark loss, including hammer reduction loss. My horseshoer friend, Robert Holt, was my mandrel holder.

I have Heath's book, as well. He gifted me a copy a long while ago.

Chichi, you may want to go to American Pioneer Video's web site they have some DVD's on barrel making. Jon Laubach and his are top Gunsmith's and in the video's. They do a demo at the Gun Builders Fair the last full weekend in July at Dixon Muzzleloading Shop. If you live near PA you should try to make this show. Good Luck with the barrel. Jerry P.

Thanks for the reference to Jon Laubach's video. I own it and used it as a reference when I forged my first barrel. Frank Turleys describes the process well. However,the" Quest for the Indian Trade Gun" by Heath book goes into lots of detail and describes other methods. It is, in my opinion, invaluable if you are interested in barrel forging.

• 1 month later...

Take a look at the Armsmaking Workshops offered by Conner Prairie in Indiana each fall. They offer a class on forging gun barrel. I've taken other classes with the gentleman who teaches this barrel class and he is a top notch instructor--Nathan really knows his stuff.

http://www.connerprairie.org/Learn-And-Do/Programs/Arts-And-Arms-2-Day.aspx

sorry guys but i just had to add this...my father in law is Clay Smith one of CWs gunsmiths until a cpl years ago and he has done forge welded barrels with Jon L and Peter Ross and Wallace Gusler and Richard Frasier all of whom i know personally except Wallace G. One of these days i want to get them over to my forge so together we can bang out a hand forged barrel just to say I helped. Clay is still making guns as before only now they are his creations totally. Two years ago he made one for Jerry Bruckheimer with over $5000 of gold and silver inlay. His work can be seen at WWW.claysmithguns.com . If you wanted some firsthand info about forging a barrel im sure he would give you his views if you contact him.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...