I Forge Iron

Broken Post Vise

Bluesman5656

I'm an ag teacher and we have a post vise in the shop that we have used for years. As everyone knows highschool kids can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet. With that being said, one of my estudious pupils last year thought it would be a good idea to see if he could "crush" a piece of a 2 x 4 in it while myself and the other teacher were busy helping some other students on a trailer build we were working on. So, the youngin puts the wood in vise and tightens it as tight as he can get it and then gets one of his buddies to help him "torque" it. Well, it appears it stripped the vise. I wasn't aware anything was wrong until I tried to use the daggum thing the next day and couldn't get it to tighten. When I checked the jaws they just fell open. I have looked on it to try to find a brand or something so I would know where to start researching to find information as to whether it can be repaired or not but haven't had any luck and don't really know where to start.

Any advice on the vise :) would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

There are several ways to possibly fix the old one: casting a Babbitt liner for the existing screwbox or reaming it out and brazing in sq stock that has been bent around the original screw; or put in a different screw/screwbox Does your program have a lathe and someone who could cut a new interior thread to match the old screw? Or you can find a coarse thread item---like the height adjustor for a scaffold leg and weld up the nut in the screwbox and the thread on the handle.

Knowing the vise maker is of no use; no replacement parts out there and if you did find a donor vise the maker wouldn't be of concern as any the appropriate size would be usable. (I have found a couple of vises over the years that had trashed bodies but good screw/screwbox's; however usually it's the other way around.)

Often it's easier/cheaper to just find another postvise.

Is the screw or box stripped? Also where are you located ther may be someone close that would be willing to help.
I was a welding teacher in a prision so I know about things being broken. If we are close I would see if I could help you fix it.
P.M. me.

If you can come by the house Saturday, we'll look at mine and maybe see if it can be fixed .

I beleive it is the box that is stripped because just looking at the screw it looks fine. I wll try to post some pics of it if I can figure out how.

Located in Petal, MS.

Pete, I may try to get up with you Saturday but I have to make sure I'm not having to work first. I am starting another job Thurs and don't know what my work schedule will be yet. Having to take on a second one in order to keep the wolves away.