I Forge Iron

Alldays and Onions double action bellows

Grumpie

I wonder if anyone can help, I have just renovated and fitted a pair of Alldays and Onions double action bellows to my forge, unfortunately they came without the weights. I am using the weights from my flypress at the moment but the are a little light for the job. Does anyone know the correct size of the weights used originally, I have searched the net but have had no luck in finding out.

I wonder if anyone can help, I have just renovated and fitted a pair of Alldays and Onions double action bellows to my forge, unfortunately they came without the weights. I am using the weights from my flypress at the moment but the are a little light for the job. Does anyone know the correct size of the weights used originally, I have searched the net but have had no luck in finding out.

What diameter are the bellows. they came in different sizes?

What is your location, I have one spare that I can weigh for you, or you can have if you can collect.

Hi Thomas, the weights on these bellows are used to aid the up stroke, they fill the upper chamber harder on the up than the downstroke, and it can be hard work to push them up without the the weights to help :)

post-12534-0-87552500-1323218332_thumb.j

post-12534-0-23545900-1323218356_thumb.j

Thanks John, I live in northeast Scotland so it is a bit out of the way, but it would be great if you could weigh it for me :)
The diameter of the bellows is 28 inches.
Thanks again.

Hi Grumpie,
the bellows the weights came from were 25" diameter outside dimension

2 cast iron weights each weighing 16kgs or 36lbs total weight 32kgs or 72lbs.

I assume these were the original ones as they worked OK with them, however they did rub on the sides of the leather when in use, and I modified them to stand off from any contact.

Six and a quarter inches diameter, painted red.

Edited by John B