I Forge Iron

Is it worth the money?

I was in a farm and ranch store the other day and saw a used anvil for sale $350. The staff couldn't tell me anything about it. i was there again today and took a good look at it. it is a Lakeside (hay-budden?) 107 lb sn 151xxx, i don't remember the last 3 #. The face is dead flat ,the edges are in good shape, and the table and horn are clean. I believe that it has been there for a while. Sorry no pic's. didn't have a camera with me and I think they would frown on me running around taking pictures in the store. What do you think, is it worth the money?

Ask before you shoot,

Tell them you want images to show a friend try to get more information on the item, or that a friend is looking for a similar item and you want to show them what you found. If you ask first, be polite, and just take photos of that one item, you will be surprised how many times you can get photos.

If they say yes, ask for a business card from the store and ALWAYS include their business card in at least one of the photos. It lets anyone else viewing the photo know where the item can be located and is free advertising for them.

Always thank them when you are finished.

That is $3.27 per lb. High for what I have paid. (The last anvil I purchased was a 107# William Foster with a side clip for $100.00 cash, it's not in perfect shape but a decent anvil.) If you know it has been there a while try to offer them $250-275 CASH, the green stuff does talk. (that's around 2.25-2.50ish per/lb) Heck, the worst they can say is no, right?! I would make the offer if they say no then I would walk away and come back a few weeks later and offer less. Ya never know...but I really don't need an anvil and therefore I can afford to take that chance. I'm sure others will chime in and say BUY IT as that price may be better than prices in their location.

That's a little over $3 a pound. I don't know what anvils are going for in Missouri, but that's a little high in Illinois. But if you feel it would be worth it to you, I'd say buy it. It's not an outrageous price. Just a little higher than I'd personally pay. The serial numbers for Hay-Budden starting with 151 were made in 1908, according to Anvils In America. :)

Thanks for the thoughts.I don't have the cash right now but wanted to see what you guys thought. Been out of work for a while now, jobs are harder to find around here than good anvils! I have been looking for a while and most of what I find are pretty beat up or wayyyyy overpriced. I saw a 150 pounder that the guy was asking $650 for. I found some at a used tool store north of here but before I could get there a man drove 300 mi. from Tenn. and bought 4 anvils and 3 vices from him. all he had left was a 50lb no name anvil that the wife bought me, it has a big ding in the face from someone using chisels on it. This one is at the Family center in Farmington, I will save some money and keep an eye on it.
Thanks again.

Well that is about what an anvil sells for here in CA, unless you get lucky. You may want to ask if they will take payments, maybe $25.00 a month and when you get a job pay it in full and take it home with you. You would be paying full price but if the anvil is in good shape it would be worth it in the long run.

I was at a sale here in Alberta and there was a 700 lb PW that had a huge swayback in it but I thought I would buy it for novelty. That anvil sold for over $6000.00. there was also a 500 lb PW that went for $5000.00+. Needless to say I never bought either one. I did manage to buy a 50 lb Canadian giant for $2400.00