I Forge Iron

MOM! Grant's cheating again!

Got a new product line going. Starting with flatters, but I'll expand into a whole bunch of top and bottom tools now. Had what I thought was a pretty slick punching setup, but didn't work out as well as I had hoped, just having to take out too much material for the stock size. Got a good script going on the ol' CNC mill. Two machine vises with two parts each. Take just under 20 minutes. Allows me to forge for twenty minutes then change parts and go back to forging. Top tools don't require the hourglass hole like a hammer. Heck you're not even supposed to wedge them, just knock them on and off so you can dress them easily.

6364416451_3c1fd770e5_z.jpg

Hey Grant, mind sharing what that eye punching setup was? Maybe it'll work on a smaller chunk of steel. I'm about to be building some eye-punching stuff for my press and think I know what to do, but it's always good to pick the brains of smart folks with experience.

At last I have found someone else who does'nt advocate the wedging on of tool handles, thankyou Grant. With a guru such as you putting it in print my arguments will have just that more weight, "oh yeh but even the famous Grant Sarver does,nt wedge his tool handles on" there it is, done deal nothing more needs to be said!

Phil

At last I have found someone else who does'nt advocate the wedging on of tool handles, thankyou Grant. With a guru such as you putting it in print my arguments will have just that more weight, "oh yeh but even the famous Grant Sarver does,nt wedge his tool handles on" there it is, done deal nothing more needs to be said!

Phil
Ha! And I can say "Forgemaster says so, so it must be right"! Great minds DO think alike!

Nice looking tools Grant! Here's another idea for you: How about making hardy blanks where the tang to fit the hardy is rough forged and the mass for the base established but the tool portion just an unformed mass? That would give most smiths quite a head start and even guys with plenty of skill might find it handy to have a few of those blanks around for whenever they need a tool in a hurry. You could offer them in several common hardy sizes.