I Forge Iron

Mower Blade #'s

pete46

The metal for lawn mower blades has been discussed several times as well as what can be done to recondition or reuse them (as lawn mower blades). Think of this from the manufactures point of view, you want a metal that will deform rather than shatter or chip when it hits rocks or other things in the yard. It should hold only somewhat of an edge as you want the public to buy replacement blades if they get dull or deformed.

What type numbers are you going to stamp on the product? I doubt that it would be the number for the steel used. It most likely would be a part number so the proper blade could be provided as a replacement.

According to my junkyard steel list lawnmower blades are typically 5150 or 5160, or at least they used to be no telling what they are made from now. What diffierence do the numbers make anyway. Take one, heat it non critical, quench in oil, then see if you can scratch it with a file, if not, it is pretty high carbon. After quenching if a file will cut it readily, it's pretty low carbon. If you are hung up on knowing exactly what steel you are working with the only way to be sure is to buy virgin stock that comes with a certificate of analysis.

Woody

I used lawn mower blade for making the furniture for a trade rifle. When I attempted to cold bend the trigger guard to fit it snapped like glass--same with the butt plate. I had quenched the finished pieces in water at just below red. There was more carbon or something added than I had read about in research. I shoulda done the test Woody recomends.

• 2 years later...