I Forge Iron

Photographs used without attribution.

David Einhorn

Here is an example of why I started putting labels on my photographs that I post. Shown in this EBay listing are two of my photographs that are being used without permission and without attribution. I started putting labels within photos that I put on the Internet because people started using them without saying where they came from. It is flattering that people want to use my photos, but getting credit for the images would be nice.

By the way, the EBay listing description is inaccurate. The vise in this auction has a bracket that is for a wagon tongue, the bracket does not match one used on an army Traveling Forge for either army.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

That vise is drop forged. You can see the die flash marks on the sides of the screw eyes. Form what I have read drop forging was a very new technology that was used only for small parts at the time. It is highly doubtful that the north let alone the south was able to drop forge such a large section at the time. Sounds like he fishing to pump up his price.

That vise is drop forged. You can see the die flash marks on the sides of the screw eyes. ....

Excellent, I didn't notice that. So that is what those marks are!

I went out to the shop to check the government diagrams of the suggested tooling to make parts for the rolling stock. No mention is made of drop forging. I also checked the vise on my reproduction forge and I don't see any evidence of flash marks.

So, when would you figure they started making vises with flash marks?

Laughing... you got me there. Nope, not period, its just my favorite hammer that I grabbed. I love that hammer. Please forgive, I wasn't thinking straight, I guess I should have grabbed an old cross peen for the photograph. Because of my shoulder damage I lean towards a Hofi hammer because it seems to help a lot with reducing the pain. I am also not wearing the correct shoes, because the last time I wore period brogans I was in pain for months afterwards. So if I want to be more authentic I would have to stand in one place and not move. Growing old is not for the faint of heart.

I am also much too old and too overweight to be authentic. The forge would have been attached to a limber, and accompanied by a battery wagon and a second limber to hold the rest of the tools, and I would need to have four trucks and four trailers to haul all of the horses, tack and regulation equipment...... about what another 100 or 200 grand more of equipment that I don't have. (Donations are welcome ;-) )

I hand made the forage hat all by myself, does that count for any bonus points. ;-)

Edited by David Einhorn

Here is an example of why I started putting labels on my photographs that I post. Shown in this EBay listing are two of my photographs that are being used without permission and without attribution. I started putting labels within photos that I put on the Internet because people started using them without saying where they came from. It is flattering that people want to use my photos, but getting credit for the images would be nice.

By the way, the EBay listing description is inaccurate. The vise in this auction has a bracket that is for a wagon tongue, the bracket does not match one used on an army Traveling Forge for either army.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Did you notice that the Ebay posting is being offered by an IFI member?

Did you notice that the Ebay posting is being offered by an IFI member?

No........, does being an IFI member make a difference?

Regardless, it would still be nice if I was asked before using my photos, especially with me in them. It would also be appropriate if I am in one of the photos and the source of two of the photographs that I issue a disclaimer that I am not authenticating the item or the description of the item. The vise's bracket would not fit an army forge either Union or Confederate so therefor was not in my opinion used on a period army regulation traveling forge..... see diagram below

Disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with the listing on EBAy. I do not authenticate the item or the description. The attribution of the vise as a vise actually used by either army during the American Civil War, is in my opinion, not accurate. I will not be held accountable for the authenticity of the vise. My photos and the picture of my person should in no way be interpreted as either an endorsement or an authentication.

I apologize if I have given offense to anyone especially the person selling the vise. Because of your proximity to where I live I likely know you, and I am sure that you are a wonderful person even though I can't associate a person or face with the EBay seller's name. The vise is very nice and I would consider it a bargain at twice the price, but I do not wish to be sued for my face and images being used to support an inaccurate item description. If someone would like me to look at a vise prior to posting it on EBAy, and let me provide what I feel is an appropriate description, and even test the vise and bracket to see if it will fit onto the stock and lunette on my forge, then I would be very happy to do so without charge.

Again, I don't wish to cause offense, but the repercussions of *appearing* to support an inaccurate attribution of an item as being a Civil War relic could have unpleasant consequences for me. And it would be nice if people asked to use my images, and gave me credit for them.

Below is the official U.S. Government Army diagram used by factories contracting to provide vises for Army Traveling forges used by both the Northern armies and Southern armies during the American War Between the States of the mid-1800s. The part to the extreme right of the image is called the "vise bolt" in the period Ordnance Manuals. If you look closely at the vise bolt, you will see it is a *straight* bolt that passes straight through the stock on a traveling forge. In contrast, the more complex bracket on the wagon vise on EBay for the majority of the bracket sits mostly on top of a smaller wooden member than the stock of a traveling forge.

post-2340-0-58555200-1321659736_thumb.gi

No

No........, does being an IFI member make a difference?

No, it makes no difference; member or no. Just thought it might be a simple matter as sending a PM. Perhaps he didn't think it mattered. I'm sure, however, once he sees this; his folly will be realized :)