I Forge Iron

Fire Grate

Suboc

Here is a fire grate I just finished for a local client. Forged from hex bar, and utilizing mill balls as feet..
Dan

Here is another shot from the rear of the grate.

And last, this is another grate I made a while back. It is similar in construction however fits into a fire box on the corner of a wall.

Dan

post-13715-0-08559200-1321485205_thumb.j

post-13715-0-80594300-1321485362_thumb.j

post-13715-0-86324200-1321486223_thumb.j

About the feet.......I heat the mill balls in the forge till glowing. I've never concerned myself with how hot but I get them yellow and let them soak for a while. Then I shut off the forge leaving the balls in and close it up...the next morning you can drill and tap them. Prior to that you can't even touch them with a center punch. The feet in question have a rivet that passes throught the entire ball and is upset top and bottom. On the first grate it is a 3/4" rivet the last grate it is around 5/8".
Dan

Really nice looking, well crafted fire grates. Hopefully you won't have pyromaniac clients who burn them up in a year or so. On the other hand, hey, you could always make them another one... :) I say this jokingly as I've spent a lot of time making nice grates only to have clients build bonfires and destroy them, then wonder why they didn't last.