I Forge Iron

High hard steel from armor plate

I am familiar with HSS -- high speed steel -- but I had never heard of HHS until now. Here are a couple data sheets.

http://www.alleghenytechnologies.com/defense/docs/081491%20ATI%20Def%20600-MIL%20Insert.pdf
http://www.alleghenytechnologies.com/defense/docs/081057%20ATI%20Def%20500-MIL%20HR.pdf

The ATI-600 ultra high hardness stuff looks interesting. It's like a lower carbon, higher nickel L6. Medium carbon, lots of chromium, a whole bunch of nickel, some moly and silicon. Should be really tough stuff. I'd guess it would air harden in thinner sections, just like L6 does.

The ATI-500 high hard armor steel is similar, but with carbon in the .22%-.32% range. That's not a lot, so the max hardness is probably limited. I bet it'd make great struck tools, though.Or you could use it as a bright layer in pattern welding.

Bottom line: I'd say keep some if they'll let you, regardless of which alloy you have. They'd both be worth playing with.

I'm in the military and we have to adapt some sheilds to allow for barrels to fit through them.
This steel is HHS; is anyone familiar w/this type of steel ? is it air hardening?
Thanks in advance.

The best thing to do is get the specs on chemistry and recommended procedures for cutting and welding from the manufacturer....and then apply them.
I am not sure you would wish to do too much work (heat/weld) to a material designed for armor plating as it has been treated in a way to gain those properties...your secondary operation may reduce its usefulness to a lower grade of material....or worse

Ric.....former SGT US Army (I lifetime ago)