I Forge Iron

air brake drum forge

What a beast! Looks like it would make a good base for something, nice and heavy with a good footprint. As a forge you may want to fill it up with clay so the firepot is manageable.

Can you get your hands on a full sized pickup truck brake drum and a piece of sheet metal, like an old steel shelf? That would be a more usable firepot size, and the sheet metal becomes a table around the drum to store fuel on.

Phil

I have a coal forge that was made from an 18 wheeler brake drum that is similiar. The person who made it made the tuyere from 3 inch pipe that extends through the bottom to a depth of about 4-5 inches from the top rim. I just filled the drum with coal fines to the tuyere and added coal from there. I have only used it a few times becuase I usually use propane forges and just got this a month or so ago but it appears to work fine.

Yah i can find the other brake drum, the tin is easiest LOL, im thinking of using a pipe like pike3e mentoned, by the way Pike3e could you upload a few pics?? id love to see what size flanfe was used.

im thinking of welding a flange on there andmaking a set of strong legs for it for a stand also like you mentioned phile using some mud ( clay) to make a smooth transition like a sloped lining and adding some rebar or a grate to block some air, i have a truck rim forge now, did a test burn and got a 3/8 foot long nail upto a beautiful cherry red, so i think it will be good aswell, ive seen a few of these make into a nice forge but have only seen pics of it b4 it was started, and andvice and pics welcome

I have many of these (used) truck brake drums (11 inches deep and 16.75 inches I.D.) lying around the shop. I have been selling them off as scrap because they are about 75 lbs apiece. Lately I'm thinking of keeping some back for a base. In fact I just recycled one into a base for a (very large) Buffalo Model 21 blower assy. Something that size requires a solid foot print and a cast brake drum of 17.25 inch O.D would fill the bill.

...of my forge? Yeah, you may have all you'd like, but I don't use these drums for a forge. I use them as a base for grinders,vises and a big old Buffalo blower unit.

If you'd like a picture of that, I can post that up on this site. I am planning a series of photos (for this site) of a rebuild that involves a brake drum base for my Buffalo blower.

............you understand that when I say "base" I mean a literal "base" It is what the blower is mounted to. I need something (very) heavy in which to support a large blower like the Buffalo model 201 blower.

• 3 weeks later...