I Forge Iron

Rail-Road track hammer

Hayden H

If I plasma cut, or bad saw the main peice off the track base, can rail road track make a decent hammer? I got a peice that about 8 inches long, and its already cut a good ways into the support column thing. So I figured I'd cut the top part off, make a hammer outa that, then use the base, and upright to make a cut off, or mini bick tool. Is it good steel to forge with? or will I be wasting my time?

Any US track from the last few decades will likely be high Manganese, medium carbon steel. Not terribly high purity, but good enough for all sorts of tools, even blades.

What you can turn it into depends entirely on what tools and skills are available to you.

There once was a blueprint that covered this, is this what you are thinking of?post-114-0-18300800-1319108980_thumb.jpg

If I'm hearing the question right, you are hoping to use the thickest part of the track (the actual rail) as starter stock for a hammer head. I don't see why not. Come to think of it, I may do the same. That would be a relatively cheap way to come up with stock of that size and quality if you don't mind a little (heavy) cutting.

Yes it's a good alloy for hammers, not too soft and not too brittle with the correct heat treat. I would probably try an oil quench on it due to the manganese content.

The reason many people don't use it is the extra effort of cutting it to size compared to things like axles where two chops and you have your starter stock.

You can hot cut the top off the web too. Might be easier than other methods if you do not have a whole lot of other tools. You can make a portion of the bottom web into a handled hot cut fairly easily too, after cutting it away you can draw out a handle or attach a rod for a handle, or devise a handle by some other means.

Phil

Strange to say I have got exactly the same piece and want to do exactly that with it! I want to make a sledgehammer head from a piece of the rail. I cut off the web and base from a few pieces. Those have gone to make very good hardies. I certainly propose to try with my piece probably next time I get the forge lit. It has been quite a while since I have forged anything and I am itching to get started again.

As ordinary sledgehammers are common here and very good I need to make something a bit odd ball. Not sure yet just what but it will come to me as I work. Maybe a maul rather than a sledge????