I Forge Iron

Parker vise hitch in get-along

Frank Turley

I have an 8" Parker machinist's vise that has begun to require 1½ to 2 turns before it engages and tightens or loosens; kind of annoying. Is this typical of vises that have your everyday screw-and-slide? Is there a quick fix? I know I can take it apart to have a look-see. Just haven't got around to it.

sounds like it might have a screw loose :lol: Couldn't resist :P
Seriously, I don't know the Parker brand but I do know many types of vises have a "keeper Plate" to keep the lead screw attached to the jaw. Also the threaded block in the body of the vice could be loose.

I have had to take apart, repair and reassemble 6-8 quality vises here at work, and junk another half dozen cheap imports. (Students are hard on everything.) Most makes will just let you keep turning the screw until the front jaw comes off, be ready to catch it.

There is usually a washer, spring, and U-clip that holds the front jaw to the screw that wears out or falls apart.

There is also a bolt from the bottom of the swivel base that holds the screwbox in place inside the frame, sometimes that needs some thread locker to hold it in place if the vise is used for hammering or grinding work.

The swivel plate locking bolts also need to be replaced if stripped or bent. They tend to be odd threads in old vises.

Google image search did not turn up anything useful for Parker, but 'Wilton vise diagram' and 'Sears vise diagram' did.