I Forge Iron

Greetings from Indiana

JAG

Hello everyone. Just found this forum through a Bing search and wanted to join to get a better idea of what I'm doing. I am an aspiring knife maker, operating under the name of JAG knives. I have zero experience in working with metal and am currently getting my shop set up and purchasing the tools I will need. I have purchased a coal forge, an anvil, a few hammers, and one set of tongs so far.

My plan is to start off by making a self-defense fixed blade knife and a survival blade (think ESEE 5). I plan on eventually making a tactical folder and hopefully learn a little about demascus steel. Probably looking at using 1095 steel for the fixed blades and using something like AUS 10 or 440C for the folders.

I welcome any and all advice that someone can give me. I have also been looking for a source of Pocahontas Coal #3 in Indiana where I can buy in bulk. I look forward to learning from the veterans on this forum and hopefully sharing some of my work in the near future.

-Grant Anderson

no coal to be had near you sorry. after City coal in Brazil messed up. most others could not get new sources and died also. I just made a coal run 2 days ago to Dennis coal in Wauseon Ohio. but prices are going up.

But welcome to the forum, Zero experience with metal but starting by forging blades? hmmm good luck. but I suggest you back up and learn the basics before the blades, but your call.

I assume you are aware of the American Bladesmiths Society school(s)? Fastest way to get from zero to doing good work especially if you just want to forge blades.

As for damascus; look up Billy Merritt (sp) he's in Indiana as I recall and is the forge weldingiest sun of a gun I know!

So how did the coal from Dennis come out? Will it be a good supplier of quality coal?

I paid 580 a ton there. its WV Sewell seam. call them (419/335-4665) and see about them making a delivery to you, unless ya want pay me to get it for ya... (same stuff was 210 at the mine but the drive is a pain) it has been no clinker, and very clean less than 3/4% S

also I got 2 ton for sale at the barn :) see ya there in about a week

Billy Merritt is indeed somewhere in south west Indiana, I don't recall the specifics right now, and he is the forge weldingest sonovagun I know too.

I'm in Louisville and I get my coal from Cumberland Elkhorn right here in town, so you might try them. I can't guarantee it's Pocahontas #3 but it works.

Lewis

Thanks for all the replies. I have joined the IN Blacksmith Assoc and was able to attend their meeting at Fowler Park in Terre Haute a little over a week ago. I was not aware of the American Bladesmiths Society and classes that are offered. I checked out some other schools but taking time off of work and then paying $200/day for an education was not going to work for me at the present time.

Hopefully, I can find some coal soon and start hitting some hot metal with a hammer. I look forward to sharing my work here and getting additional feedback.