I Forge Iron

Take note!

Nick

So I was forging the other day, when a piece of coke in the forge EXPLODED and...

Okay, not really. I did this intentionally to an old pair of safety glasses that were to scratched up to be useable. I'm going to hang them up in a visible place in my shop. Always wear your eyes!

1704.attach

Nick,
Nice visual. Thank you for the post.
Even though I have seen safety glasses that had been struck by a broken piece of grinding wheel, I sometimes still think about saving time by not putting on my glasses.
Because I saw what damage was done, I have so-far not yelded to temptation, and I always wear them.
When people talk about safety issues, they become like a hero to me.
We need to remind each other, over and over again.
Most times when we get hurt, we knew better!
Be safe!
Ted

Every time The subject of safety glasses comes up I remember this story told by Clifton Ralph (which is why he uses this particular story...so people will remember)

Clifton worked in the forge shop at a steel mill, making and repairing large type things a steel mill needs. This was many years ago when pretty much nobody wore safety glasses (or hearing protection etc). Well there was one man who always wore his glasses. Always. One day this same man was sitting in a break area of the mill, having some coffee and reading the paper. Something happened nearby and BAM, he lost an eye. On break, no glasses.

Wear your glasses.

Why I had my regular glasses done as safety glasses---pretty much the same frames I had been using---aviator with large lenses and the "s" in the corners don't bother me.

Whenever people tell me I should get contacts or have laser surgery on them or even get smaller lenses cause they are so large and heavy I let them look at my old pairs--scratches, chips, burns, etc and tell them I prefer such things on my glasses and not on my eyeballs.

So I even wear safety glasses most of the time when I'm taking a shower...