I Forge Iron

atha hammers - looking for a 2-3 lb one in this style

Bigred1o1

hi i am looking for a 2 to 3 lb atha hammer similar to this one which is a 6lber
post-22808-0-98566400-1317936838_thumb.j
i love this hammer but for most things its a bit on the hefty side
so long story short dose anyone know if they every made a smaller version of this one i have it in a 12lber as well that i found at a yard sale for 2 bucks and resurrected

I'd try grinding down a stone workers hammer of similar configuration and re-heat treating. (make sure it's not a steeled WI hammer beforehand!)

I wouldn't suggest doing this to an ATHA hammer though as the collectors will generally be happy to subsidize you buying a couple of others to re-work just to get their hands on one of those.

Note that you can have a rewarding relationship with a tool collector who might be happy to send damaged tools your way to be re-worked for your use in return for a smaller number of tools in good shape going their way---or money for that matter! A lot of tools that just need dressing---regular maintenance during use will be abjured by a collector who only want's "unused" examples. I'm not so picky.

points taken i was more just trying to find out if anyone knew if atha made a 2 /12lb or a 3lb version of this hammer i have 2 atha hammers and i like them they have a nice sound and a sort of soft yet lively rebound
and once again while i enjoy making my own tools i also enjoy having much older tools that i know have passed through other hands before mine
i just don't need them to be pretty when they get to me

i always stop at junk shops when i have the time and paw through the random piles i got a nice 2 1/2 cross peen bell system hammer that way for a buck or so it has a realty nice oval shaped slightly rounded striking surface that has been perfect for working metal where people want nice pretty hammer marks left in at the end

it is the same on both ends they are rectangular and equal length from the the eye and i am unsure it looks similar to some of there stone hammers but all of those i could find had a blunt blade or state peen off of the back
its sort of a bummer its a really impractical size hammer the 6 and the 12 lber but like i said before it has a wonderful rebound so that i keep trying to find a way to use it
also i am a sucker for esthetics
as to getting one made it is a truly generous offer but the 15bucks i spent on this one was painful i am unfortunately on a very tight budget sins being laid off from my third job lol
i run my families small beef farm and at nights i am the handy man for a office
at some point when i can spend more cash on things that are fun i will keep this offer in mind but currently my blacksmithing <- (this really should be a word) has to be a self funding bootstrap operation
once more Frank thankyou for the offer