I Forge Iron

Power/Treadle hammer anvil questions

While at my steel supplier yesterday I stumbled across a 5" x 5.5 foot piece of solid round. I ended up bringing it home for a good price thinking that I could use it for a treadle or power hammer anvil build. It calculates to ~367.5lbs for the whole piece. Obviously, at 5.5" tall it's a bit high for an anvil as is. I know about the 1:10 - 1:25 hammer to anvil ratio stuff, so I'd obviously like to keep as much of it as possible. Cut to 3 feet it will only be 200#. I can cut it in half and use both pieces, but 2.25' seems short (I'm 6'7").

Just curious what you guys/gals would do. Any thoughts? Can I use this, or should I keep looking for something a bit bigger around/heavier?

-Derek

5 foot 6 inches?

If you cut in half that is 2 ft 9 inches, not very different from 3 ft, especially if you use dies of some type. If you cut to 3 ft, you have 2 ft 6 inches left, part can be used as a hammer head.

If you can scrounge additional solid stock then you have more choices...but power hammer seems to be a possible destination of you have added material.

Phil

Thanks for all the comments guys. I really like the looks of the douple anvil that Grant's video shows. I'm still a bit off on this project as I gather parts so I'm going to look for a nice chunk of steel to put on top/below a doubled piece of the 5". This will give me a little more height and additional weight. Whether the hammer ends up square or round will depend on what I scrounge up. This will be a father son project. My Dad doesn't forge (yet), but he loves building machines. It will give us something to do together and will probably end up with some unique ideas incorporated. Whether it works or not will have to be seen...

Curly, is your hammer guide system simply a pipe that the hammer slide inside? Any adjustments? Any needed?

One other question: Any advantages to a certain size of I/H beam for the upright? We have a few to choose from. I'm assuming heavier/thicker is better.

Thanks again,

-Derek

Hey Derek. The hammer guide is in fact a pipe that I cut and welded to a bracket. No, there is no adjustment, but so far haven't needed any. Bring your dad down and let him take a look at it. I have a total of about $55 in it, including the hardened bolts for the dies. I'll send you a PM. :)