I Forge Iron

First fire!

Nice looking forge, it's a good size. The fire rake looks good, nothing like a good fire rake, it's what I use in the wood stove for everything.

Some folk call smithing addictive, heck I joke about it but it isn't. What blacksmithing really is, is the ULTIMATE boy work,play with fire, hit things with hammers, bend things, cut them with HAMMERS, it's hot, smoky, dangerous, stuff can cut you, burn you, fall on you and break things, it's smelly dirty and just oh SO manly. I'm surprised all men aren't smithing. Oh okay, so the guys who rappel into volcanoes, work in BIG foundries and astronauts have a release that MIGHT, just might ease the need to smith.

I am a touch mystified though. You're actually taking a couple days off to write a paper? Oh, what IS the world coming to?

Frosty the Lucky.

Nice looking forge, it's a good size. The fire rake looks good, nothing like a good fire rake, it's what I use in the wood stove for everything. Some folk call smithing addictive, heck I joke about it but it isn't. What blacksmithing really is, is the ULTIMATE boy work,play with fire, hit things with hammers, bend things, cut them with HAMMERS, it's hot, smoky, dangerous, stuff can cut you, burn you, fall on you and break things, it's smelly dirty and just oh SO manly. I'm surprised all men aren't smithing. Oh okay, so the guys who rappel into volcanoes, work in BIG foundries and astronauts have a release that MIGHT, just might ease the need to smith. I am a touch mystified though. You're actually taking a couple days off to write a paper? Oh, what IS the world coming to? Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks Frosty.

Well it didn't work out with me taking off a couple of days. I still fired it up. Been making alot of wall hooks, and some hooks that will hang on c-perlin.

There are lots of good projects to hone skills on, the best being the ones that don't require too many different techniques. Things like pokers, hooks, bbq tools and such are good for drawing and basic bending. You can add finial flourishes to start learning new techniques. Finial scrolls, flames, leaves, animal heads, etc. all are good practice without adding too much per project.

Later it's time to try joinery in more complicated patterns like grills, grates, trivets, gates, railings, etc.

I've gotta go to an auction now to see if there's anything to add to the "It followed me home" section.

Frosty the Lucky.