I Forge Iron

Abusing an anvil

Ok, we all know or have a pretty good idea WHAT an abused anvil looks like, but I wanted to ask, what exactly is considered abusing an anvil? I mean I know there is the obvious ones, no hitting on it with a big hammer without hot steel inbetween, no sledging on the tip of the heel or horn, and stuff liek that. But whjat actually causes saddling, and chipping, and horn and heel breaks?

Saddling is caused by the gradual settling (on a micro level) of the wrought iron body under the stress of impact from forging.

Chipped edges: are probably mostly from stray hammer blows, MAYBE the edge being to sharp in the first place.

Broken heels and horns: I've heard that this can be caused by alot of hammering at very cold temperatures, but I think it is mostly caused by using too big a hammer over these areas or by weak spots created in the anvil forging process.

Those are my bets. Take em or leave em.
-Aaron @ the SCF

Saddling is also caused by *wear*. Scale is an abrasive and over many years it will polish it's way down---you can see anvils with wear saddles that do not have the bottom of the face plate sagging as would be evident for settling.

You can see anvils with *both* causes evident.

One common abuse mode is to use a chisel or a hot cut on the face of the anvil---too hard a hit or angling it too far can leave a mark on the face. ALWAYS use a "saddle" or cutting plate!

I have a large anvil that was in very good shape until a welding shop used it for a fixture. it now has gouges into a nice flat face---arghhhhh

Thomas

Saddling is also caused by *wear*. Scale is an abrasive and over many years it will polish it's way down---you can see anvils with wear saddles that do not have the bottom of the face plate sagging as would be evident for settling.

You can see anvils with *both* causes evident.

One common abuse mode is to use a chisel or a hot cut on the face of the anvil---too hard a hit or angling it too far can leave a mark on the face. ALWAYS use a "saddle" or cutting plate!

I have a large anvil that was in very good shape until a welding shop used it for a fixture. it now has gouges into a nice flat face---arghhhhh

Thomas

RRR weldign shops do nopt know how to treat ANY anvils, even ASOs!

Mine was even worse---a copper mine in AZ welding shop lots of air-arc gouging!

My bigger anvil from a RR shop was in great condition...probably because it was part of a blacker mechanical hammer and so protected from general abuse until the shop closed.

(407 Trenton from the mine, 515# Fisher from the RR shop...)

Mine was even worse---a copper mine in AZ welding shop lots of air-arc gouging!

My bigger anvil from a RR shop was in great condition...probably because it was part of a blacker mechanical hammer and so protected from general abuse until the shop closed.

(407 Trenton from the mine, 515# Fisher from the RR shop...)

:o :o :o WOW, I thought a 200 pounder was big, guhhhh....407 and 515 make it look like a Harbor Freight anvil!