I Forge Iron

Thorn

PeterM

Just finished:

I came to call this piece "Thorn", not so much for the file work copper motif, but for the fact that this entire project became a real thorn in my side!! Getting the w.i. took forever, that's the second handle after the first revealed a large natural crack when almost completed, that XXXX habaki thingy was a PITA to get right, and the guard proved to be a bit finicky as well.

Anyway, I'm happy with the way it turned out, and the leather sheath will be finished this wknd. Here's some details:

Blade: 9 1/4" forged 1084, flat ground with a 2500 grit hand rubbed finish and etched to reveal a nice temper line. Copper blade collar (a la "habaki") featuring vine and thorn file work and pierced w/ a Lilly of the Valley flower(both sides).

Handle: 5 1/8", lightly figured, air-dried Pennsylvania Walnut with Tung oil and buffed paste wax finish. Etched wrought iron (wagon wheel) S-guard with copper fore and aft spacers and O1 steel pin.

Sheath: In Progress

Thanks for looking. I welcome your comments and critiques.

p9040051.jpg

p9040044.jpg

p9040050.jpg

The copper just needs a bit of cleaning and a good polish.

p9040048.jpg

p9010025.jpg

p9030035.jpg

I just like this shot!!
p9010003i.jpg

p9010009.jpg

Thank you all for the kind words.

Akad - I usually start with 400 grit after heat treat and from there its - 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500. Depending on the size and design of the blade that may take two-four hours. If you've taken a blade up to 800, you're "over the hump" and the remaining grits will get successively easier. Good luck.

I finished the sheath last night. Stay tuned....