I Forge Iron

Belt Grinder Question

Double Y

I have been looking for a belt grinder and am debating building vs. buying.

Not having a ton of cash, I have been looking at the no weld plans and they seem to be pretty straight forward.

However on the other side is purchasing one. Do any of you have experience with a Coote Belt Grinder?

The Coote with a 2x72 belt and a 10" contact wheel is $505.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

The tough part is deciding just wot you are going to do with the grinder. There are alot of ways to make a knife and many of those require different things from the grinder. Belt speed is a big key, For wot I do I can not do with out a variable speed and just use alot of small wheels, Now and then I use the flat platen. For a general use grinder a coote,(does it have a motor>) or a Grizzly will do a ton of work. Making one yourself is a great option if you have the ability to make it so it works like you wish. I have made one and it works great. But I used and still use a comercial one for a lot of years so I knew exactly wot I wanted in a home built. I can say this for sure. a cheap grinder is a liability to your work. A well made one will allow you to learn and develop. You should try and find a way to visit folks with all kinds of grinders and see wot they have and how they use it.

I've had a Coote for almost a year now. I use it just about 5 days a week for knife and tool making, and I'm really happy with it. Although I do most of the shaping of stuff with the anvil and hammer. It is very well built and I've never had any problems with it. The owner of Coote is very helpful and friendly. I'd recommend it for sure.

I have a 6x48 craftsman belt sander and a 4x36 cheapy. I have two problems with those sanders. The slow rate of speed and the difficulty accessing the edges of the belt for a nice plung grind. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing...that is very possible, but from what I have seen online the larger contact wheels on the belt grinders make it easier to achieve a hollow grind and the plung lines I am looking for.

Any thoughts on the grinder in a box from Polar Bear Forge? He is a South Dakota boy and the pieces are U.S. made. Personally I like that. For $250 you get the major components then have to purchase your motor and wheels. Price wise it comes out similar to the Coote.

Thanks,

John