I Forge Iron

BGOV Feb 17 meeting

Next Meeting Info: February 17th 2007 10am-3pm

Location: Otter Creek Forge. 2732 Otter Hill Rd. Bedford VA 24523

Directions: LT has provided us with many different options for getting to his place. There is always Mapquest, but we all know sometimes they can't get you to where you want to go easily!

From Bedford: from route 460 take 714 (Falling Creek Road) out past Bedford County Nursing Home and go 5.5 miles across a cement bridge. At top of hill, turn right on 715 (Otter Hill RD.) Go 1.8 miles. House on left. 2732 on mailbox.

From Lynchburg: Take first exit off 460 (just pass McDonalds)
Turn left on 714 (falling creek rd.) and follow directions from Bedford.

From Roanoke: Take 3rd exit off 460 by-pass. Turn right on 714 (Falling Creek Rd.) and follow directions from Bedford.

From Altavista by-pass route 43 exit: Take route 43 north 1.8 miles
Turn right on to 628 and go 8.3 to intersection with route 43 at Mentow Baptist Church. Turn right on 43 north and go 1.5 miles to intersection with route 24. Turn left on 43 north 3.9 miles to route715 (Otter Hill Rd.) just pass Pecks Baptist Church. Turn right and go 1.6 miles to 2732 on mailbox. House on right.

From Yellow Branch (intersection 29 & 24) south of Lynchburg:
take 24 through Evington and over Big Otter Bridge. Stay on 24. At 16.5 miles 24 & 43 merge for 2.7 miles and separate. Stay on 43 north for 1.2 miles until just pass Pecks Baptist Church. Turn right on route 715 (Otter Hill Rd.) and go 1.6 miles. 2732 on mailbox. House on right.

Demonstrator: John Riddle. John is a veteran smith who focuses on hand forged and artistic items. He has a great eye for the sellability and potential in everyday items. John creates "yard art" out of many objects we take for granted and/or simply throw away! John will be demonstrating a snake made from an old rasp file, and hopefully a few other items that sell well for him. We also may get some of his "trade secrets" too. This will be a great meeting for those of us who are trying to make some money at this.

Reminders: BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch). This helps keep the cost down for the host, and ensures you like what is for lunch! IRON IN THE HAT!!! Make sure you bring something for IITH, and money for tickets. The Guild will provide coffee, pastries, and drinks at EVERY event with a donation jar, please donate if you partake! . The IITH and Donation Jar will help raise the money needed for demonstrators, future scholarships, and hopefully getting us closer to mailing out newsletters.

I talked to John on the phone yesterday. He is also going to do a demo on his male and female cow heads that were in last month's Iron In The Hat!

Please let me know if you are coming!

Don't forget to bring something for Iron In The Hat and a chair! This is going to be an awesome demo!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys there!
Peyton

Today's meeting was a lot of fun. I think everyone had a really great time! John Riddle did a great job with his demo, and LT had some really neat ideas/tools he shared with everyone.

All in all. This was, for me, a perfect meeting. Just a good group of smiths getting together sharing a pot or 2 of coffee and just shooting the breeze, and watching a demo!

I Can't Wait until next month to see you all again! Pictures will be uploaded soon...full selection on the guild site, and some here too!

If you took any pictures let me know! I have close to 60 or so! :-)

Peyton