I Forge Iron

RR rail anvil

When I first started I was using a 8 inch section of RR rail a friend had cut for me to use as a boat anchor. In fact he cut several for me so I welded one to some other heavy metal pieces and used that for an anvil.
My questuon is I was using the top of the rail as the anvil face now I have read that I should have turned it up on one end and used the other cut end as the face. Which would be correct as the surface seems softer then the rail top?
I now have two real anvils but would like to know as I did think about using the rail for a treadle hammer anvil.

Here is a picture of my orginal set up the base the rail is on are 3 rail plates that are nailed to the tie's and the rail nailed to it and the ties. These were discards when the railroad company re did the track. I only pick up their scrap never the new. any way I welded them together and it worked pretty good till I found or was told I should be using the end and not the head.

But I like your idea macbruce I just need a couple of bigger vices or get lucky and find a leg vice.

Think you too Thomas but not sure what you mean by the 3 feet unless it's the distance I should use on the treadle hammer between hammer and anvil.

Information I will keep in mind thanks again
billp

post-7651-0-41418100-1315522823_thumb.jp

Thomas's point is that the advantage of turning a rail on end is that it puts a lot of mass directly under the hammer, which makes the anvil effectively much more rigid. But with a section that is only 8" long, turning it on end puts very little more mass under the hammer than using it like you were. You would see very little improvement that way. If a section of rail is 3 feet long and you stand it on end, then you've suddenly put a whole lot more mass directly under the hammer and you'll see a big improvement in efficiency.

I would want something larger and heavier for a treadle hammer anvil.

Ok now I understand, so now I'll have to re-think what I use for the anvil part of the hammer. Right now I'm in the process of collecting the materials to build the hammer and it is going slow so I should have the anvil part figured out by then. Who knows maybe I'll come across a 3 foot section of rail. The scrap yard I deal with tends to come up with some intresting stuff from time to time.

Oh and Macbruce I ment to tell you, I like that profile picture good choice

That's about what I'm looking for but don't think I'll have your luck on the free part. billp

Don't be too sure. Find a place that repairs forklifts. (Someplace that rents them might be a possibility.) I hear tell that they scrap forks at the first sign of trouble for liability reasons, so if you take 'em some trinkets you might luck out. Can you weld (arc or gas, not forge)?

l have a small arc welder that will handle anything I can do. I am fair hand at it having had a few classes at a tech school when I was a kid but no real training to speak of. It's like my blacksmithing the more I do the better I get.

There are no forklift shops near me but, there are a couple of shops for big over the road trucks I know of who may do forklifts too. I'll have to give them a try and see what I can barter from them for. Nothing else a few springs and maybe some other metal parts would be a nice consolation prize.

l have a small arc welder that will handle anything I can do. I am fair hand at it having had a few classes at a tech school when I was a kid but no real training to speak of. It's like my blacksmithing the more I do the better I get.

There are no forklift shops near me but, there are a couple of shops for big over the road trucks I know of who may do forklifts too. I'll have to give them a try and see what I can barter from them for. Nothing else a few springs and maybe some other metal parts would be a nice consolation prize.

Google lists a bunch in Memphis, about 30 minutes from you. That is pretty close.

Phil

Yea I think I know the areas your talking about.

I grew and worked there till after loosing two jobs to the economy so now I'm semi-retired. With gas prices are like they are I just don't go into town like I use to. I just know some of the places closer to home respond better to the "good old boy" approach then the ones in Memphis. To many people in the big city bumming for scrap meal to turn around and sell to make a quich buck. But it never does hurt to try.

Friday I do have to go into Mphs for more stock metal and other supplies so maybe I'll check the ones I can while I'm there.

I'll just have to pack heavy as if I'm right most of these places are not in the best of neighoods :(:rolleyes:;) but I'm use to that too no problem.
billp

Good advice Phil I'll try the trade items and your right about being up front about my intent. I'm that way with the little scrap yard not to far from me and they treat me good just don't get many good items any more. So no honesty has always been the best policy for me when doing things like this. But with the barter good to sweeten the deal and be the ice breaker it could help get my foot in the door.
Thanks
billp