I Forge Iron

Tools list?

Hello Everyone:

Since I am getting started now I was wondering if anyone could offer up a basic tools list: Hammers (sizes, etc.) , tongs, (sizes, etc.), Vises (Sizes, etc.)

And just list tools, I know I need a Forge, and Anvil, etc. And you don't have to go into great detail - just a basic list for basic jobs!

-Brandon

Ok, here goes. I'll borrow one from Roy D Mercer. " How bigga boy are ya ? " Reason I ask this is simple. Hammer size can or cannot reflect the users physical size. I know virtually nothing of you or your needs, wants desires or education insofar as smithing goes. If you are gonna go the local route, I'd suggest visiting an Ace or True Value (or Menards or whatever) and look their hammers over. Find a cross pien that is about 1000 grams and another that's 1500 grams. This is a place to start. Are you hooked up with any smiths or smithing organizations ? Tongs will be a reflection of what you wish to do (hold). Bar, rod, plate all need different tongs to hold them. A pair of channellocks will get you started. Actually I use a common pair of pliers a lot (just for handling outside the fire). My opinion would be to pick a project to forge and tool up for that (in tongs and hammers). Hot cuts, chisels etc will come as you need them. I would suggest buying a good hacksaw (read Nicholson or Stanley) for cutting for now. Let us know what and where your mind is going and we'll see what you need.

Tooling up is very dependant on the project at hand. What do you want to do and what do you have available to work with now?

Anvil = some metal object with 75-100 pounds of mass.

Hammer = something with a weight that you can use for several hours without pain. Ball pein, cross or straight pein will both work.

Tongs = pliers of some nature, vise grips, channel-locks, slip joint or use the method Whitesmith used for making tongs. I need to locate the link to that one.

Steel stock = junk yard or alley steel. But when you want to get serious, buy new steel as it is uniform piece to piece. The change in the metal by hammer blows is then due to the hammer not the content of the steel.

Fuel = what is available locally, or what you can obtain on a regular basis.

A good hacksaw

Make your first chisel and temper it to straw. It will serve you well.

After that, you need additional tools for the specific project, but a pick-up truck and trailer is somewhere in your future. And a OX/AC welding set-up (to heat, cut, and weld) and shortly thereafter an arc welder (the glue gun for metal).

Somewhere in the process your tools become toys and the list never ends. You just have to have at least one framinwhizzle cause they are cute and no blacksmith worth his clinker would be without one. No matter that they are usually used only one time and afterward used only as a "yea, I got one" conversation piece.

As Ten Hammers says, tell us what you want to do in the craft and we can make suggestions.

My First few projects:

(1) Bunch of Forged, semi-decorative Nails
(2) A Beer Bottle Openner (3 of them actually)
(3) A Chisel(s)
(4) A set of wood carving Tools (scoop, tiny edger, etc. etc.)
(5) A Gardenin Hoe
(6) A Fire Place Set (Stand, Poker, Scoop / Shovel)
(7) A Nice looking coal Shovel for my shop
(8) Tongs, Hammers, and other tools for my Shop

----

I figure that's a good list of a good bit of different stuff to practice on and make! So from that list what do you guys think?

What is the basic list I will need in order to get that list done?

skillaid: Get a good beginner book and follow the directions for the projects in it. For some of our recommendations so far, see:

http://www.blacksmithforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=200

I am a BIG proponent of forging tongs. LOTS of tongs. Make at least one pair a week, preferably every day for at least a little while. The reason for this is that you will learn a lot about forging by doing so many, and you will need tongs to do jobs throughout your blacksmithing career or hobby. I prefer the ones I make to anything commercially made that I've tried. It isn't a money-saver, so much as a tool-liberating thing. When I need a pair RIGHT NOW that is different, I just take an hour and make them. No big deal.

I am actually reading a First book.

The revision of The Blacksmith Craft - by Charles McRaven.

It's a great book, and where I got a lot of my first project ideas!

I was just fishing around here to see what everone else thought about for a tool list...

Brandon: I don't have that book so I can't review it. But I did spend a little time with Charles McRaven. His how-to books are generally pretty good. (I have both his stone-work books). But he isn't a blacksmith.... so if you run into conflicting information between that book and one by a full-time smith... well... don't be afraid to opt for a different opinion. I don't think there were many books at all when he wrote his.

It's funny how violently opinionated people can be when it comes to tools - I knew a commercial art-smith in Houston some years ago who swore it was always better to buy rather than make hand tools. We argued about this for some time and I finally told him to go buy a pair of tongs and I'd have a pair made when he got back. This was a good bet because there was a BS supply place about 3 hours round trip from his shop. He cheated and bought two pair of tongs but I also cheated and made four pair while he was gone, so the pizza was on him. :mrgreen:

IMHO, it's always better to make your own tools unless it's something that is so complex that your time in production makes up for the cost. Making tools is one of the most valued items in the blacksmith's heritage - no other craft is as versatile.

To build or buy depends on the personal skill, and the time left before you really need the item. Many suggest to buy the first set of tongs, because you will have them NOW for use. You can look at them as a go-by to make others.

I still have my first set of tongs, well hidden from public view. But I was, and still am, proud of the accomplishment.

I will go out on a limb here, and hope it's not TOO confrontational sounding.

I don't think the reason for buying tongs should EVER be because you can't make them. In my opinion, if you can't make serviceable tongs... ones you like and use... then you probably shouldn't try to forge much else.

The reason I say this is because they really have so many nice fundamental forging skills involved. And "ugly" really is okay. Nobody else needs to see them. But I know they aren't hard to make because I've shown many rank beginners how to make them, and they've left the session with a decent pair of tongs.

I've also loaned out tongs for copying, sometimes even just the pieces so someone can compare step by step right on their own anvil.

I don't agree with, but do acknowledge that, many folks think it is more important to spend the time making money than tongs.

This would be a good time to set up blueprints on how to make tongs, so a beginner can follow the plan. I will try to get Whitesmith to make a set his way to get things started.

In my opinion, buying tongs, or any tools for that matter, should best be reserved for when your production time limitations show justification. A fifty dollar pair of tongs, or a seventy dollar set hammer are just that. Your own tools are the result of your own skills development and experience - no one can buy that, period. If the first tools you make are ugly, so what! Do they work? Yes. Perfect! Will you make better ones next time? Yes.
No one will ever fault you, because no one can beat that.

Brandon: Way up there on the list of stuff you will want to have is a vise. You do not NEED a post (leg) vise, so don't run out and buy the first one you see if it is too expensive or in terrible shape, just because it looks like a blacksmithing tool. Sometimes you can find a good machinist vise more easily and cheaper.

Still, I prefer the leg vise because the jaws Don't close in parallel, and because it is engineered for taking a beating, if you use it right.

However, almost any vise is better than no vise, and you can always pass on the one you get as you upgrade over the years. If you can find a blacksmith group, it is almost a given that several of the members have more vices... I mean vises... than they should. :shock:

So add: VISE to your list.
8)

As the other guys say, making stuff can be nice. Do not automatically rule out making particular things just because they seem like a lot of work/too large to handle/etc. I welded up a post vise and bickern on Friday with the University of Hawaii's large Miller MIG welder... good reason to take a welding class. :)

You might call it a tool but it's more of an aid. I find a big lump of plastecine is invaluable. Plastecine, play dough, modelling clay; call it what you like, reacts very much like hot metal especially when its been in the fridge for a while.

Skillaid, take for instance the pair of tongs Ed wants you to make. People get confused following instructions on when to turn the stock, when to push forward, etc etc. Starting with plastecine the size of your stock you can practise till the cows come home. When you're confident enough to swap to hot metal you have at least sorted out the process in making what you want to make.

Well everyone this is great information. I appreacite everyone taking some time to reply to this.

I have already succefully secured a Hand Powered Blower - through the tailgating section of this site!

I love this site, and I hope one day I can add to it's value by adding good / useful content that everyone can take advantage of!