I Forge Iron

Schooling advice

Lukus

So I'm currently getting out of the active army and I plan on going to school for both metalsmithing and metallurgy. I've already applied to the two schools that the Army recommends. Can anyone off advice from their experience or just toss a few schools they know of to me?

The ABS school is in Washington, ARK, some call it Old Washington. It is part of the Texarkana C.C., so I've been told. Located north of Hope, ARK., about 30 mins or so from Texarkan. None better for learning blades.

Frank Turley's school in Santa Fe.
Robb Gunter's...now Chad and Brad Gunter's in Moriarty, NM.

Brian, Brazeal is in Miss....fighting the skeeters... :P along with teaching.

LeTourneau University in Longview, TX for the metallurgy studies.

There're lots of different kinds of metalsmithing as well as metallurgy so it depends on what you want to do. Blacksmithing and bladesmithing have been recommended and you've been pointed towards some of the best teachers available.

More common marketable skills include machine shop skills especially CNC machining, then there's fabrication and erection. Metallurgy is more useful in the foundry or perhaps the exotic trades, say rocketry, aircraft, jewelry, etc design.

There's more a person will never know about metals in a lifetime of study than they ever will. But human civilization is highly dependent on metals of all kinds so it's a good practical thing to study.

Frosty the Lucky.

Ifn you were to take Mat Sci here at NM Tech---a respected engineering school though in a very small town---you could take Turley's classes and The Gunter's classes during summer breaks---both of them are about 2 hours away by interstate.

I can arrange a School Tour of the Mat Sci department if you can drop by sometime. (I can provide a ride from Albq or Las Cruces/El Paso too)

As a smith I try to make friends with metallurgists when I can!