I Forge Iron

wagon tongue vise

chichi

I was in a nice junk shop and noticed a blacksmith type vise but it had no post. It had a bracket and the shop owner said it was originally made that way and the only one like it that he had ever seen.
I remember seing some wagon tongue vises in an old thread on this site .Is there any particular value to this style vise versus a post vise of similar size. I assume I can get it for $50 or so.
Thanks

I have seen them sell for as little as $40 for one missing the mounting bracket, and as much as $250. A complete wagon vise in good condition usually sells for between $60 and $110 on EBay. This type of vise was used during the American Civil War as a vise mounted on Army Traveling forges, and also on wagons headed west. The lack of a leg means that the vise is not as well supported and therefor is intended for smaller projects and lighter blows of a hammer. The advantage of this type of vise is that it is period correct for use with a 19th century American Civil War reenactment, as smiths in the American Armies at that time did not drag around leg vises. For a smith looking for a vise for his/her shop a leg-vise would likely be of more practical use.

I was in a nice junk shop and noticed a blacksmith type vise but it had no post. It had a bracket and the shop owner said it was originally made that way and the only one like it that he had ever seen.
I remember seing some wagon tongue vises in an old thread on this site .Is there any particular value to this style vise versus a post vise of similar size. I assume I can get it for $50 or so.
Thanks

I'm envious.
I've been looking for a wagon tongue vise for 2 years and I would jump all over one for $50.00.
I almost had near heart failure when I saw a listing on another forum for a vice just like that - the person wanted $20.00 for it and was willing to drive into town to meet up with me. I was so excited - when we met up and he pulled it out of his trunk it was 5 inches tall :huh:. He thought it was a blacksmith's vise because it looked like the style in the books - it actually would have been more useful as a jewler's vise. I was so disappointed. I couldn't believe how small it was - I didn't realize the wood it was clamped to in the photo was a 2x4. In retrospect, i should have bought it anyway - it would have been a great addition to my kit.
Sam
Hamilton, ON.

post-4558-0-63283300-1314279217_thumb.jp