I Forge Iron

To many forges?

Hayden H

I have 2 forges at the moment that are operable. One is a champion cast iron table forge, with a fire brick, and mortar firepot, one with an homeadeforge, with a 12 by 24 rectangular firepot. And two rivet forges I need to go get, and 6+ blowers, I've been offered? If I buy them and sell them, would I make a decent profit?

If you bought them, there is a market to resell them quickly, as long as you can ship. If you wanted profit, that will depend on their condition, what cleaning is needed, and what format you want to sell them under. It also matters what the initial investment is.

Phil

Yes, No, Maybe! Can you tell me if I can sell my car for a profit? Of course I can't tell you what make, model; or condition it's in...

Unless you are getting them powerfully cheap and in mint condition there may not be that great a market as folks can build a great solid fuel forge for almost nothing---an old commercial one doesn't buy you much over a home made one. They are also hard to ship.

Now if you are going to a big conference with free tailgating you might be able to sell several at one go if the price is right.

Blowers area better deal *IF* they do not need any repairs. Blowers that need repair are pretty much scrap for folks with blowers that need repair.

Thats what I do, I buy broken blowers when I find them, (which is pretty rarely) the lost one I bought was a Champion 400, the brass worm-drive gear is worn to thin teeth. The local coolege machinest said, if I paid for the brass puck, he'd make the students make the gear. Most of the forges I find, are homeade, not worth very much, but the next smal one I find will be made into my mini table. Lots of rivet forges come out of the wood-work, but usually are cracked, or badly damaged