I Forge Iron

Riveters Forge

what would a riveters forge with a hand cranked # 40 Champion blower be worth? (fair market value)
It seems to be in very good shape and blower works well.
I am hoping to get a ball park Idea from some one who knows...I don't have have a clue! But am very interested in one for sale here, Just don't want to get taken!
And should I be looking for specifics on closer inspection?
Please any help or advice more than welcome.
Thanks
TIM

That is very difficult to answer as it depends on what you are willing to spend. I have had people ask all sorts of prices for tools - some ridiculously low while others had me scratching my head and laughing. If the blower turns freely and has no bearing noise, the hearth is in good shape with no cracks or holes and it is in good overall condition, then it could fall in a range of $50 to $250, depending on where you live and a host of other factors - like how badly do you want it?

HWoolridge. Thanks. I do not realy have the money to spend but have always wanted a coal forge to work on. (Maybe the tool envy thing in my genetics!)
It seems to be in good shape but asking price is about 1000.00 but he has graciously worked his way down to 350.00 which stills seems like he is selling GOLD. Zealous Tool envy or no, I can't see it !!!

Well, cheftjcook, if you put any stock in what the folks on ebay are getting for their tools, you will find that a riveter's forge, particularly a Champion, is going to go pretty high. If the blower is in good shape, and the hearth pan and firepot are not burned or rusted through, then the $350.00 price tag may not be that far off.

Best of luck! I would love to be able to come up with just the Champion blower, but,they go for crazy prices too.

John

cheftjcook, How good are you with a welding lead? :) For $350.00 you can build your own and even buy the firepot! Look in the BP section for some plans, sorry I'm not sure what the BP# is but there will be some one to chime in with that info. In my area that price would be pretty high, about $250.00 too high, but that is my area. YMMV

Well, cheftjcook, if you put any stock in what the folks on ebay are getting for their tools, you will find that a riveter's forge, particularly a Champion, is going to go pretty high. If the blower is in good shape, and the hearth pan and firepot are not burned or rusted through, then the $350.00 price tag may not be that far off.

Best of luck! I would love to be able to come up with just the Champion blower, but,they go for crazy prices too.

John

Well,
You really cant go by ebay's prices anymore. a number of things have sold for far more than they are worth(look at antique tools and antique german snowbabies). There has also been a large number of people getting a second ebay ID and upping the price of things. But then again tool collectors are having a field day on ebay as of late. I know of one person who has bought a ton of forging equipment( 4 forges and 10 anvils so far that i know of) who is just doing it to put them out in his garden.

Sean