I Forge Iron

Making a hammer eye drift ~ Brian Brazeal

I put this together for members of FABA after Brian came to my shop and did a hammer making Demo it has come in handy for my friends who attended the demo as they set out making hammers Brian is inspiring and if you can learn his hammer method your whole style and the amount of work you can get done will double

Uh oh. The small fuller is 1/2" diameter instead of 1and1/2"! I think I know the reason for why the fullered ends came out funny looking. Oh well, live and learn.

Evfreek, the smaller top fuller, the bottom fuller, and the hump tools are all the same radius and width. The radius is made with a swage that was made from an inch and a half piece of round stock, but the width of all of the tools is a little over 5/8" wide.
I have seen and heard of many people misinterpreting this information. Some made their tools like a 1 1/2" half circle, and that won't work. The hammer would turn out much too long.

I took all of my tools with me to Octoberfest, but I got busy and never got around to showing Evfreek. (Doooahht!)
The anvils were not really set up to do the heavy forging on so I felt that it would be a waste of time trying to make hammers. I will be making a striking anvil soon as well as the rest of the tools (I still need a top fuller and a handled slitter to be properly set up)

Hi Brian. Thank you for the clarification. This really helps.

It was good meeting you at Oktoberfest, Clinton. Thank you for the hammer blanks you gave me. I will have to remember to put a pass through hole in my swage block stand.