I Forge Iron

Taper calculation / hammer eye drift

• 3 months later...

Well, I am about a part way done. I have the end down to close to 5/8 square, but the taper is only about 3 inches long in a piece of 1 1/4 that I think is 1045, but may be something tougher. That was with a 4# hammer, and quite a few heats in my propane forge.

I also made a part to hold my double stacked brake drums to the bottom of the table for my solid fuel forge. Drawing down 1x1/4 to about 3/8 round is a whole lot easier since I was shown how to do it properly. (Thanks Jason@MacTalis Ironworks).

I KNOW I was not heating as high as I could have been, I was having problems with my propane bottle freezing. I was only getting a few really good moving hits in each heat, then it would stiffen up even though it still was at a red heat. I am ready to go back to solid fuel.

Phil

Hey Phil, anytime you want to come up, I'll help you out with making drifts, punches, hammers, whatever. Though I didn't get the one on one time Alec did with Brian, I did get to spend a few days with him this summer, as well as I have watched every bit of video I can find of him. I've made all his hammer making tools aside from the 3" fullers which are mostly for cosmetics. Drifts are easy, dimensions aren't critical unless you are trying to make a set that are all matched. As Brian is so fond of saying, the tools make themselves when you know where to hit them.