I Forge Iron

Why does it need to be a new anvil? Just curious as to the interest in new only. Since you live in Canada it would be somewhat expensive to import a new anvil from abroad from what I have heard about custom fees and it's not something you can just tuck in your underwear and walk across with or hide in the spare tire well either.

peddinghause they are sweet. I have a 275lbs one. It comes down to this, do you want to use an anvil or hunt for an anvil a new anvil is great I do have some old ones but it was pure luck in finding them. If I had waited to find an old one I could still be waiting.

I have a 280 pound Vaughans and I wouldn't swop it for any other anvil I have ever used. It is largely a matter of personal preference of course and what you propose to make on it. As I think I have said elsewhere on this site Vaughans probably have the biggest available range of anvils. I am unaware of anybody else who comes close!

Ask them for a good discount from those list prices! A few years ago they had a 500 pound double bick anvil at a ridiculously low price. I just missed it!

Also if you are having an anvil delivered as far as that it would seem sensible to get a vice at the same time. The transport cost would be very little more.

I have a 500+# Fisher with 2 1.5" hardy holes. What I have started doing is to find old top tooling and forge the handle eye section to fit the hardy holes thus turning them into bottom tooling that fit the hardy holes.

I often get them cheap as the old large and grungy ones are not at the top of the list for most smiths. Last Quad-State there was a tailgater who had a large pile of such items and with a price that went down as the event progressed. Every time they lowered their price I'd pick up some more stuff that had hit my buy point. Had a lot of fun converting them into tooling for the main shop anvil!

I have also made a set of nesting sleeves for the hardy hole from square tubing by slicing down the corners and folding the tabs out. Using a couple of those I can make use of my other anvils tools.