I Forge Iron

the 55 forge

killroy225

i keep getting this error message "Fatal error: Call to undefined method ipSeoMeta::user_popup() in /var/www/vhosts/iforgeiron.com/httpdocs/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/pages.php(419) : eval()'d code on line 3877" when i try to open any of the first three links, any ideas?
oh also, if it helps i'm using google chrome

if no one can figure this out would you post the blueprints or give a link to where they are

Edited by killroy225

Hi Killroy, I seem to be having the same problem. I know there are several issues with the addition of the new content/software, I am sure Glenn and Andrew will have it well in hand very shortly.

But the 55 forge is prettty easy to make. Get a 55 gal. drum. Cut it down to about 6-8" on one end. Poke, drill, use a cutting torch, sawsalll, what ever you have and cut about a 2" hole in the middle of the bottom. Get some 2" pipe, preferabley something without any zinc or coatings on it. (Zinc is bad to breath) flair out one end of it. the drop it down the hole. The flair will keep it from going through. Take a couple of bolts and run them perpendicular to each other making a + and bolt, weld, rivet them to the pipe. So they don't come off basicly. You'll need an air inlet. You can weld a "T" with the same pipe on it and put a hair drier on that for your blast. Its not heavy duty, it won't last forever. But it will work. I may have forgotten something Its been a while since I read the blueprint. Hope that is of some help/

Hey killroy,
The 55 forge is really basic as stated above. I made a 55 forge a year and a half ago with a brakedrum set into the bottom of the cut down 55 gal drum and have been using it since. If we can't find the blue prints, I'll take some pictures and explain mine later today. Hang in there.

Mark <><

side blast 55 forge
Very simple to make. Blow air through a pipe into the pan.

Bottom blast 55 forge
Use an section of auto exhaust pipe, Drill the pipe and use one or two pieces of 1/4 inch rod for a grate as well as to hold it into the pan. A "T" in the pipe is best so you have both an air inlet and the down tube for collecting ash.

When you weld the "T" into the auto exhaust pipe, I suggest that you plan ahead and do not get so excited about building your first fire that you forget something. Took me a while to solve the problem (grin).

Once I found the problem, the fire got a lot hotter.

The parts are where you find them.

55 gallon steel drums are everywhere once you start looking. Think garages, industrial locations, hospitals, bakeries etc. Auto exhaust pipe can be found at any muffler shop, and many garages. Standard black pipe can be found anywhere there is metal piping used. Junk yards are a good source for things also. Do not turn down a 30 gallon grease drum from a garage as it can be used for many things.

You can build either forge using flat steel. You can use a car rim (the steel part of the tire) as a container to hold fire. You can use a plow disc blade if your in farm country. If you have an old washer or dryer, you can use the metal shell.

If you have fire brick, you can easily build the side blast forge, and with a little work the bottom blast forge. Assemble the bricks on a steel table of some sort.

If nothing else, you can dig a hole in the ground and use that for a fire pot. Just add fuel, fire, and air.