I Forge Iron

feet or no feet that is the question

OK so I'm building my second anvil and I'd like some design input, kinda like you helped Grant with his "Tooling Anvil ?". It started life as a 5 1/2" X 5 1/2" billet 3 feet long and I'd planned on putting feet under it for upsetting like Hofi's anvils. So here's the question, what do you think about making the feet with different bottom dies like a swage block? What do you think would be the most versitile shapes?

post-10064-0-65330000-1312060115_thumb.j

post-10064-0-63991800-1312060118_thumb.j

I thought I'd cut some 2" plate about 4" X 12" and weld them under the anvil at 90 deg, one close to the hardy hole and one at the pritchels. That would automatically give me 3 pads with 90 deg V blocks about 4" square two on the near side and only one on the far, because the shelf I welded on at the face would be directly above the one. I guess the far side should be left plain for upsetting and probably 4 different half rounds 2 on each of the near sides?

I only used the mill to clean up the face and drill the holes, the tapers and the horn were all torch cut before the heat treat. The steel would've become high grade rebar but it had too much Cr, and Van in it which would make it too hard so it was scrapped.

Form follows function. Which processes are you most likely to want to do on those feet, rounding up a bar or upsetting the end of a bar? Another option is to mill a hardy hole in one of the feet nearest to you and leave the other flat so that you can upset on one foot and use the other foot for hardy tools such as v blocks, half-rounds and bending jigs. That way if your needs change you can simply make another hardy or jig for that foot. Or put hardy holes in all the feet, and make one or more hardies flat for upsetting.

I like David's idea of a hardy in a foot. Put a regular upsetting plate (5th foot) on it, and not sure what to do for the other near foot, or the other two feet. Having 4 hardy holders would be handy for keeping tools organized if nothing else.

Phil