I Forge Iron

Cut twist shelf brackets

Dex

BP

I needed a quick project to find an excuse to try some cut twists. I'm learning, so most everything I do is actually trying a technique or method out for the first time. I'm looking forward to a time when I will be repeating techniques!
These brackets are sized to support a 6" wide shelf. The red primer and ivory topcoat is scrubbed back and then waxed for a distressed look, it's not that I've painted on top of WD40 ....

Dex

post-6249-0-66455400-1311855209_thumb.jp

Not bad at all for an early project it's actually quite good.

A couple things: if you break the corners on the stock before you twist it will have a less factory look to the edges. If you break the corners heavily say till the breaks are almost the same width as the halves of the faces, then twist till the cuts are closed you'll have a "cable or rope" twist.

Transitions between twisted sections and flats or spreads for bolting is MUCH easier of you carry the twist just into the transition area, then forge it back to square or into your connection.

Painting over WD is how I do distressed, if my usual finish isn't distressed enough. ;)

Frosty the Lucky.