I Forge Iron

Just starting out

Taye

I'm a new member from Iowa, ive been forging for about a month now. I've wanted to be a blacksmith for a long long time, i just never knew that i could without a huge workshop and tons of resources. what drew me into the art is that blacksmithing IS humanity's past. and although it isn't widespread anymore i still like the sound of hammering metal. i fire up my forge whenever i have a few solid hours to spend, on any project i can (weather permitting :angry: ). all my work is done with scrap steel although i would love to get ahold of some bronze or actual black iron.

i look forward to learning and seeing other peoples works

Taye, Welcome to ifi. This is a great place to start. from here the directions you go. My smithy is outside under an old oak tree. High tech tools and a fancy shop are not a pre-requisite to learning to forge. However I do long for the day that my smithy has a roof and walls would be sweet to block out the wind. I feel your pain about the weather but on days when I can't fire up the forge, I am planning and researching things to make and ways to improve.
When you can, post some pics of what you are working on and what you have finished.

Mark <><

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you may be surprised at how many guys here are within easy visiting distance, Vew things will help you advance like a little hands on with someone who's experienced. It'll also mean us old farts won't have to rely on our memories when we're traveling of who's in the neighborhood if we want a tasty snack or spot to nap.

A name might be nice too, I like knowing a body's name but that's just me, not a rule.

Frosty the Lucky.

i'll be sure to post pics as often as i can, andive searched for iowa members before but not too in depth by any means. most of my startup problem was in finding a steady fuel source. i finally found a coal dealer in iowa and i know a couple guys who do demonstration smithing. and yea, i found out after using a shop vac and a brake drum that not too many bells and whistles are needed for functional forging. and lastly, thanks to you guys for the warm welcome

The cinderblock isn't going to last long under the anvil, especially laying on it's side. There are lots of more sturdy ways to mount it. You can stack lumber crib fashion, find a section of log or if you have a welder available weld up a steel stand. It only needs to be solid, reasonably stable and the right height. Solid's pretty much a must, stable is important as rocking, walking or bouncing robs your blows of power and accuracy, height while important is the least of the three but still well worth making it so.

Now, for your next project I suggest some fire tools. A proper rake and a small shovel are what I find the most useful.

Frosty the Lucky.

Haha it may seem odd, but i love using that improv rake, it's just a corn knife that i tapped to a 90 degree curve, but it has enough space at the end to scoop a little coal to put on the fire or any fuel that falls out of the fire. although i do agree on the shovel part, i need a decent shovel to use, and strangely enough, you mentioning it is the first time i thought of making one.

i do need a better stand for my anvil,but the stumps or log pieces that i know of are rotten and i would like to use a stump or log necause i think it will absorb the shock better