I Forge Iron

Questions about benchtop belt grinders

My 15 year old Delta 1"x42" belt grinder gave up the ghost this week, I have a Birthday comming up the 7th and was thinking of asking my wife for a new belt grinder. Anyone have experince with the grizzly #G1015 "knifemaker" beltgrinder ? Is it any good ? I'm thinking the 2"x72" belts are going to cut better and last longer plus I can get a good sized contact wheel for Hollow grinding not to mention a MUCH better belt selection . The Delta had a few shortcomings but I made do, But I think it is time to step up to something better, any ideas or recomendations less than $400.00 ?????

I started out blacksmithing as wanting to be a bladesmith, well I still make a knife every now and then but I switched to more of a blacksmith but that grizzly grinder gets used almost everyday im in the shop. Its one of the most versitle grinders ive ever used, its great for wood and metal, I have a few tracking problems but I think thats my fault. to sum it up, I highly recommend the grizzly belt grinder.

There is a fellow that makes belt grinders of high quality that is a blacksmith. You will have to give me a bit to come up with a name. Beshears maybe. I have seen his grinder and it is first class.

I've had one for over a year and for the money it's hard to beat. My only complaint is the contact wheel is a little close to the motor. When hollow grinding right to left the motor crowds your hand a little. If I can sell a few billets I'll try to upgrade later on. What sold me was the fact that you get a grinder and a buffer for one money.

Steve

I have been told by knifemakers that the 2x72 models allow the belt to run cooler so the grit lasts longer. However, it may just be that the belt is almost twice as long as a 1x42 so they last twice as long for any given amount of grinding. I don't know...maybe one of the professional knife guys can comment.

I built a 2x72 out of junkyard scrap and it has worked great for the last several years. I'll probably have it until I'm pushing up daisies so long as the motor holds up.

You need to stop by the shop and look my grinder over bud. 2 x 48" home built. You can acquire some machining skills building one. :) I grind stuff fresh from the forge (ladle etc) and have gotten 8-9 years service from it. HWoldridge built one too. Time being money, you may be better off just buying a new one (or asking for one as a gift works too !). Give a holler and we'll see about hookin up sometime.

Regards,

Ten

The grinder maker that Glenn was trying to think of was: http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com When I was buying equipment to improve my shop's capabilities, I was going to buy a KMG (Knife Makers Grinder:-) from Beaumont Metal Works, but I ran out of money before I got the grinder from him (Plus my best freind set me his old Blador 2x48 belt grinder and huge pile of belts:-) For next to nothing:-) :-) :-)

I had also been considering the Grizzly...
The grizzly is just about as cheap a 2x72 as you are likely to find without building it yourself out of scrap parts... That being said the professional knife makers complain about the tool rest and the platen. If you don't mind reworking it to make it a better knife grinder, it is a cheap way to get started. The 1hp motor gets good reviews, but the over all set up of the grinder doesn't. That being said you can make a good knife on this machine as is, but it just isn't as easy as with a more expensive good knife grinder. For basic shop tasks it should work fine, but for precision grinding of knives, it isn't half the machine that a Bader III, or the KMG, although it is considerably less than half the money of both of those grinders. If you want to make knives, you can get this to get into making them cheap, but you will likely want to improve the basic machine where you can, and replace it with a better model when you can afford it:-) (If you dispise cheap tools, save your pennies and get a KMG or a Bader III or a Burr King, or one of the other professional grade belt grinders, or just buy parts from Beaumont and make your own grinder that is to your liking.

Even a bad belt grinder is still a very useful tool:-)

You can also buy parts from beaumontmetal works should you decide to build your own. I figured about 300 for parts then my time. His machines are top rate and a more reasonable than bader. I also have a burrking 760 that I got at a bargain basement price (375 cdn),I use it daily but wouldnt spend the dollars for new. The best bang for the buck is the Beaumont, buy a basic machine and and option it out as you can afford it.

The enjoy the comment about a bad grinder being better than no grinder at all. I have a very expensive knife grinder that I make knives on, It tracks perfectly the wheels are true and I have several attachments that make it do more things. One of the very best features is sadly lacking on fixed speed machines, I use it mostly turned down to slow speeds. 2" x 72" is about the best thing going, there is a real big selection of belts availeable. I have the Grizzley that you are looking at. The motor is in the way of one side of the wheel, Everyone I have seen has a problem with the contact wheel not being true, The platen has to be repaired , as it comes it is just not right. I do not like the fixed speed. I use it every day I am in the shop, I use it for almost all things other than hollow grinding knives. I have a small diameter buffing wheel on the other end, It allows me to buff soft materials without digging into them... If it breaks I will buy a new one like it the very next time they are on sale,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Any one have experience using a "router speed controll unit " with their belt grinder. You know what I mean, the little box with the rehostat on it that you can plug in line with any AC motor to control the speed. works great with routers, drill presses, saws and my old Delta belt grinder. Just kinda wondering if anyone has used one with the Grizzly, some times the motors are touchy on different tools. Just worndering if it works ok ?