I Forge Iron

I haven't been here in quite awhile, but still remain interested in this art . I have been working on the forge and will send pictures of progress, I work at it when I can, but must admit it has been more off than on, I walk by it everyday so the next rainy day will do some more. I have to my credit began sawing out the timbers for the blacksmith shop, and hope to have it at least enclosed by snow? I have a question and need help with this. I have cut out a silhouette of grandson on mild steel plate 3/8" thick and polished down with 400 grit paper. This I mounted onto a pine slab so that it stands away from wood background. I used a clear spray on finish, but when dried left a funny looking pattern? I'm wondering if just plain old car wax would serve better, I like the looks of the raw steel and am please with the finish I got. An thoughts on what to do?
Adirondacker

A picture, your desired end result and whether it will be displayed indoors or outdoors would be of assistance. Either the temperature, thickness of the coating while wet and/or the surface could result in a crinkle pattern. Your finish would depend on whether the item will be displayed indoors or out and what you wish the end result to look like.