I Forge Iron

New vise

RobertC

Here's one I picked up a couple weeks ago. it looks like it led a tough life. Any idea on maker or age? I'll be working on a mount for it this weekend since I don't have a bench I can easily mount it to.

Edit: The rusty one, not the blue one B)

IMG_1247.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1248.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg

How's the screw on it? Looks like it was left out to rust but I don't see a lot of repairs and the jaws seem to line up and their isn't a lot of hammer marks on the front moving jaw---how had it lived a rough life?

I have a 6" one that was inside it's entire life; but that was in a car repair shop that started in 1918 and the moving jaw top looks rather like the surface of the moon from all the hammering done on it. (Of course car repair shops had forges back then!)

Not really sure, but I saw 2 or 3 vises of that shape that the eBay sellers said were made in New England. It has nice lines almost like a Peter Wright. The "acorn" ball ends on the handle and one the screw box finial lead me to believe it is not a PW. I would guess that it dates to the 1850's or before. My guesses are visceral and based only on seeing many leg vises.