I Forge Iron

Gas forge materials

SamT

Does anyone know how well stove firebrick will work in a gas forge? Something like these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H7UGU0?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1 Or should I buy the bricks from budget casting supply? I'm planning in using the BCS blanket as well unless I hear bad things about it. Shell will be an old 5 gallon air tank with a naturally aspirated burner, not sure which design yet.

That's what I meant, brick for the floor. Lol, sorry I wasn't clear. But now that I look again, would a forge made of stacked brick be comparable to a cylinder lined with 2" of kaowool? If internal volume was the same of course. Brick at BCS has a pretty steep volume discount on their 2300* brick. 3 brick flat for floor, 1 1/2 brick standing on long edge for each wall, and 3 more for top would give a chamber of 6.5 x 4.5 x 13.5 with 9 bricks. Just another brick front and back for doors and done. Could be nice to be able to change the layout. Kiln shelf or kitty litter for a floor, for that matter a box filled with riverbed clay and skip the three floor bricks all together.

Is this hard firebrick or soft firebrick? Hard firebrick takes a lot longer to heat up and cool down and so "saps" the heat of the system.

Soft is quite insulative and so fast heating.

I had a friend who build a gas forge out of soft firebrick and managed to accidentally melt a billet when he was showing it off to the group---Hi Patrick!

BCS brick is soft 2300*F brick, 9 x 4.5 x 1.25. 12 bricks for $74, shipping included. Not sure if that's a good price, but I'm in a pretty rural part of MS, so closest pottery place will probably be in oxford, about 70 miles away. I have to admit that I have No idea about a pottery supply anywhere in MS, can't find any info. Round trip would cost me about $35 in my truck to oxford, so they'd have to be a good bit cheaper. You think regular old red clay would work for a floor? Or better to go with soft brick topped with kiln shelf or hard brick?

http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/GasForge/PropaneForge.html This looks like a nice little forge to copy. Any comments before I order the brick tonight? Should I coat the inside with itc-100? Should I get a kiln shelf for the floor? An inch of kitty litter? Stainless pan? The reil burner looks simple enough, but isn't the mini-mongo more efficient? Sorry for all the questions. I do have a 7x12 lathe, if it matters on burner building.

Efficiency on all these home built pipe burners is pretty similar for the BTU they produce. You have to have good transitions and design to get better efficiency.

A slot up the side so it can accept wide pieces, but be closed off when not needed, will be helpful from time to time.

I built this burner. works good. Annoying to tune as you cut the contact tip shorter...but it stays tuned.

ITC-100 or a similar mix is important. It is paint on insulation. I made my own mix, basically 70% zircon flour and 30% kaolin. I don't know if it is as good as ITC-100, but it does stabilize my ceramic wool rather well. I melt steel in my little forge if I am not careful.

Phil

Thanks phil. I'll take a look at the link in a second. I wonder how much more efficient a T-Rex or the 1/2" variant would be, as in how long would it take to recoup its higher price in gas savings. Probably not enough difference to justify the $125-$150 spent.

Thomas, I ordered soft and hard brick, and 3k* mortar, going to follow the design on zoeller's site. Only difference is my hard brick is 1.25" thick instead of .75". About to head out now to get a regulator and some parts for a sidearm burner. I may want to try welding in it, so I'm going to go ahead with the 3k* brick floor. Bought it from www.clay-planet.com if anyone needs a source.

Got an email from Clay Planet. My hard firebrick is out of stock, he offered a refund on them, so I took it. Now, will a 1" thick kiln shelf be a sufficient floor for a welding capable forge? The site says Cone 10, and the chart says thats a final temp of 2381*F at 270*F/Hour surely they'll take more faster than this... I hope... 11"x 22" will give me some overhang on the 9"x 18" forge base, but I doubt it would be a problem as long as I dont hammer on it :P I could call one of the momument companies around here and see if they could cut it, or is there a way to cut it myself? Dry masonry abrasive blade?

I have cut hard firebrick with a fiber disk. The masonry disks cut better and last longer than the ones for metal when cutting brick. Get a name brand disk, and get several, one false move and you may break the disk. The shelf should take the heat, but it need to be backed by insulation or it will allow the heat right through it since it has little R value.

Phil

10-4 Phil, devinately don't want silicosis. Scratch the kiln shelf, found some 3k fire brick on evilbay. Auction says only one available, but he says he has more, trying to figure out how to order more than one, ebay wont let me.

10-4 Phil, devinately don't want silicosis. Scratch the kiln shelf, found some 3k fire brick on evilbay. Auction says only one available, but he says he has more, trying to figure out how to order more than one, ebay wont let me.

Buy one and request an invoice. The seller can figure it out then.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...