I Forge Iron

How did I magnetize it?

metalworker77

I'm in the beginning process of making a knife blade and something odd happened; I accidentally magnetized the piece of flat bar as I was grinding the rust off it. I am excited about it; I have never magnetized anything before! I know that iron can be magnetized when heated and quenched, but I never thought that the bar would get hot enough for something like this to happen. Maybe it was something else that magnetized it except the heat? vibration? Anyway, I kind of like it, could be a useful feature for a knife! Will the magnitization stay? How about if I heat it again in the forge?

• 4 years later...

Magnetism is all about the alignment of the iron atoms in the stock. So, yes, if you don't do anything else with the iron, the molecules in your stock will stay magnetically aligned. If you heat it up, the grain structure (alignment of molecules) will change. Heck, even dropping the iron repeatedly will shock the molecules out of alignment.