I Forge Iron

My first forge, is it workable?

Hyde

Hello, I was wondering if this forge will be usable, Its like a 55 forge but with a few modifications.
I don't know the exact dimensions of it, but I will post pictures, the pipe has holes in it for the air flow.
Would it be possible to use a air compressor as an air source? Thank you for your replies and feedback.
post-22149-0-52466100-1310523564_thumb.j
post-22149-0-65958200-1310523429_thumb.j

Looks like a "lively" charcoal forge without the clay. The pipe is supposed to be running the length of a shaped clay trough, and this is a charcoal forge.

A clay mix: 3 parts sand, 1 part portland (the active ingredient in cement), and optional 1/2 part clay.

Mix with JUST enough water that it packs and breaks(instead of smashes) when squeezed with your hand.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lively_Forge.jpg

Phil

That can work, but you don't want your tuyere just floating out there in the middle of the tub. Add clay up to its level, and then build a firepot with it, like in this Lively style forge:

forgeandanvil001resized.jpg

This is a good design for blades, but it's not as flexible as a more traditional firepot and tuyere.

As for the air compressor, it depends on how much air your compressor can provide. Might work, but I suspect it'll add a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on your machine. There are better tools for the job.

Yes you can use an air compressor. You can also use 20 euro bills for fuel. Is it cost effective?

A compressor puts out low volume high pressure air, the forge takes low pressure high volume; compressors are expensive and wear out with use. Little blower fans can be sourced cheap and last a long time. Visit your local heating and Cooling place and tell them what you are doing and ask about any of the assist fans for a super efficient furnace that they may have pulled out and replaced and so have them in their junk pile.