I Forge Iron

Mystery Anvil

My best guess would be that it's a William Foster. Everything abut it screams that to me, especially the numbers. We know that it's also pre-1835 as there is no pritchel hole. you did very well.

Want to sell it? I'll double your money :P

Good find!

Aaron

Perhaps. I do not use it. I bought along with a little portable rivet forge so let me muse on the idea a bit.

I found numbers on the other side of the anvil that look like 1 7 4 and then a 1 or 0 so I am not sure what that is all about. It can't be the weight due to the second number being greater than 3. So is that a date? Is that even possible?

That is a very old anvil and I'm thinking to a collector of anvils worth some real money so don't let someone hood wink you into selling it for very little. It looks to be be in very good condition for it's advanced age, mid to late 1700's is my guess. Now don't go and try to clean all of that wonderful old patina off of it, just leave it like it is and don't worry about it. Yes, you may certainly forge on it but please don't get out a 16# sledge hammer and go to beating on this anvil with it, you could damage the old man. :blink:
The numbers shown are read like this 1-2-25, If I remember correctly it is hundredweights(112#) first, then stones(14#), then pounds(1#) next. If I'm wrong I'm sure that there are those that will let me know very quickly. <_<

That is a very old anvil and I'm thinking to a collector of anvils worth some real money so don't let someone hood wink you into selling it for very little. It looks to be be in very good condition for it's advanced age, mid to late 1700's is my guess. Now don't go and try to clean all of that wonderful old patina off of it, just leave it like it is and don't worry about it. Yes, you may certainly forge on it but please don't get out a 16# sledge hammer and go to beating on this anvil with it, you could damage the old man. :blink:
The numbers shown are read like this 1-2-25, If I remember correctly it is hundredweights(112#) first, then stones(14#), then pounds(1#) next. If I'm wrong I'm sure that there are those that will let me know very quickly. <_<

Thank you kind sir for your words of wisdom. I have a few moulding planes that are from the 18th century but to find a 193 pound chunk of iron that old is really neat!

A date of 1741 is certainly possible. One way to date an anvil to the 18th century is to hold your hand so that you can not see the horn, just the body.
If the body looks symmetrical, and the horn looks like an afterthought, its probably old enough to be around or even past the two century mark.

The weight system is actually (C+Q+P), where the first number is hundredweights (CWT) or 112 pounds, the second number (0,1,2 or 3) is quarter-hundredweights, or 28 pounds (2 stones*** in a QCWT, pretty close, bentiron), the last number is pounds, 0 to 27.)

So class, whats the answer? 1*2*25 = 112 + 56 + 25 = 193 pounds, or the stated weight of the anvil at the top of the post.

***And if you think this is bad, try to have someone explain the money: pounds, shillings, bob, crowns, quid, etc. On the plus side, when something is slightly discounted, you can tell them "Two P off!" (Thanks, Benny Hill.)