I Forge Iron

New and all that jazz.

Hi I've been interested in black smithing ever since I was a small kid but I always chalked it up to be one of those "dreams" that'll never come true. That all changed two days ago when I fell upon this website. Since then I've read through most of the articles in this board and a few in the other boards. However I realized 2 things 1) reading this stuff can only get me so far and I would need actual practical hands-on experience and 2) I have nowhere to set-up and or practice by myself. That being said I was wondering if there was anyone local to Wichita Falls, TX that would be able to "take me under their wing" and maybe help me through my newbie stages. I'm in Texas til September for schooling so I don't really have much time during the week however I'm readily available on the weekends. Thank you in advance and I hope to be creating masterpieces with you all soon.

Rhyus

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! The North Texas Blacksmith Assoc. meets in the Dallas area---maybe a little far to drive but check here for their next meeting location; http://www.ntxba.org The Saltfork Craftsmen and Artist Blacksmith Assoc is the Oklahoma group and they have the state divided into 4 regions, check here for a meeting near you; http://saltforkcraftsmen.org Sorry you're not closer to me, I'm just out of Longview-- about 120miles east of Dallas. But if you do get over this way give me a shout, just takes a sec to have a fire going! Once again, welcome.

What type of schooling are you in? and were do you hail from?

I originally come from Connecticut. I'm in school (more like training) at Sheppard Air Force Base for aircraft maintenance and unfortunatly they won't allow me to set up a forge on the base (buncha kill joys).

I originally come from Connecticut. I'm in school (more like training) at Sheppard Air Force Base for aircraft maintenance and unfortunatly they won't allow me to set up a forge on the base (buncha kill joys).

I guess an open flame is "too dangerous"! :P No matter. There are several excellent smiths in the Duncan, OK area. Gerald Franklin is the Pres. of the Saltfork group and he is just out of Duncan. He holds a workshop for beginners on occasion. Like I mentioned earlier, check the site, especially the newsletter for upcoming events/workshops.

Welcome aboard Rhyus, glad to have ya. There are lots of smiths in your general vicinity, not the least Thomas.

I have a couple friends from Connecticut so Alaska isn't too far to come. Heck, I live about an hour from Elmendorf AFB/ Ft. Richardson. Joint base now. You could find work and come play here in the MatSu Valley. Heck our winters aren't much different than in Conn.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 8 months later...

Figured instead of a new Thread i'd just restart here

Hi Everyone,
My name is Rhyus I'm an Avionics Technician at Hill AFB, Utah (near layton). Intrested in starting up Blacksmithing when I get back from my short deployment I should be home early may was wondering if there was anyone around my area that is currently set up because like texas they wont let me set up a forge on base. :'(