I Forge Iron

Anvil at last

Hello fellow members, I am pleased to announce I finally found and bought an anvil. Actually two anvils. Though neither are anywhere near perfect, they will serve my purpose fine.

The first is a Vulcan #9. I thought it was a #5 but after I cleaned some of the paint an rust off of it I saw it was a #9. Which explained why it was so heavy.

The second anvil is more of a mystery. It is a cast steel (I think) with the markings 83Lbs and what looks to be a star shape and the word warranteed below the star (both above the 83Lbs). There is a mark on the bottom of the anvil looks like a "0" and the is a mark on one of the feet looks like a "4" or an "A". The bottom also has a real nice smoothe recess that is oval shaped.

If any one can ID the second I would appreciate it. Other than that they are mine and I am happy. Now to make some tools for them.

post-15800-0-40481400-1309055002_thumb.j

post-15800-0-72358200-1309055010_thumb.j

post-15800-0-34655400-1309055017_thumb.j

post-15800-0-69194400-1309055022_thumb.j

post-15800-0-51813400-1309055030_thumb.j

post-15800-0-22688300-1309055038_thumb.j

post-15800-0-60779700-1309055067_thumb.j

post-15800-0-74197300-1309055073_thumb.j

post-15800-0-03624200-1309055079_thumb.j

post-15800-0-16858800-1309055086_thumb.j

I would guess the 2nd anvil is a Swedish anvil. The caplet indentation under the base along with the ledges on the feet has been seen on some Swedish brands. There was a Swedish brand called 'Northern Star' that had a star stamp on the side. It is possible that Soderfors manufactured anvils for Northern Star. My Soderfors has a caplet shaped indent under the base and flats on the feet like yours. (Info from Anvils in America by Richard Postman).

I would guess the 2nd anvil is a Swedish anvil. The caplet indentation under the base along with the ledges on the feet has been seen on some Swedish brands. There was a Swedish brand called 'Northern Star' that had a star stamp on the side. It is possible that Soderfors manufactured anvils for Northern Star. My Soderfors has a caplet shaped indent under the base and flats on the feet like yours. (Info from Anvils in America by Richard Postman).

Mr. Steve at Matchless Antiques said basically the same thing so we are gonna go with that. It is a North or Northern Star Anvil brand anvil. Made in sweden.

Thanks to all

Mr. Steve at Matchless Antiques said basically the same thing so we are gonna go with that. It is a North or Northern Star Anvil brand anvil. Made in sweden.

Thanks to all

Thanks to all

(not sure how this reply got posted twice) Edited by bmazingo

• 9 months later...

I just got one of those "North Star" Anvils. The letters are a little bit more legible on mine. There is the small star above the lettering that says, "Made in Sweden" and below that it says 286 lbs. The bottom is rusted but it exhibits the same hollowed out base. No numbers are legible. I can hardly wait to test it out. I've been using a relatively "small" anvil, a Hay Budden of 130 lbs. I say small because the North Star dwarfs it. Something about anvils, what is it guys, very addicting, gotta have them. It's almost a spiritual thing, they just feel good to be around.

Most of the older Swedish anvils made for the American Market were marked in pounds in my experience too.

Note that Sweden adopted the metric system in 1889 and so not surprising that things made prior to that would not be marked in Kg...But anvil made after that time still seem to be marked in pounds for the "Holdout" America.

• 3 years later...