I Forge Iron

Flash Bainite

Well I know about 1/2 dozen folks making a living making jousting armour and dozens making foot jousting armour.

Wall Street Journal once did an article about that proverbial bad economic choices in industry of buggy whip makers. Turned out the factory they interviewed was working massive over time trying to keep up with the harness racing demand and was doing quite well!

Article sez: "This flash-processed steel has ultimate tensile strength of 1694 MPa, which is at least 7% higher than published results on martensitic advanced high strength steel."

I'm calling BS here. (Or maybe there's a typo in the article.) UT of 1694 MPa is just not very strong! There are many many steels which are stronger.

This is really disappointing. I would think the ASM would fact-check (or edit, whichever is appropriate) more carefully.

Here's what seems to be the actual paper by the Ohio State folks. "Martensitic advanced high strength steel" appears to be a term of art in industry. It looks like they're talking about a category of steels that is very strong compared to other relatively low carbon steels with few expensive alloying elements. By that standard this seems to be a very impressive result. We're talking 8620 that's stronger than 1095 quenched and tempered at 400F, just for example, and only about 100 MPa weaker than 5160 given the same treatment. (I'm relying on eFunda for tensile strength info.)

Did some digging with Google. Gary Cola runs a CNC plate cutting business in Michigan. He's getting a great deal of press in the online tech news-sites. The media are making ridiculous claims. (What do you expect? They're the media, after all.)

Gary Cola's personal claims are here: http://chapters.sme.org/069/technov07.pdf Feels a lot more like a sales-pitch than a break-through, but I'll reserve judgement until we here more from Dr. Suresh Babu and his team.