I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Anvil

Hello.
I am new to the forum, and I am not a Blacksmith. I am fascinated with metal, and hope one day to have the time (and money and space) to pursue this interest. I started fabricating small parts for my motorcycle, and found myself in need of a strong flat surface to Hammer pieces of metal on. I recently came in to possession of a Peter Wright Anvil, and I was hoping someone could tell me more about it.

It is marked "PETER WRIGHT PATENT 1 1 6". I have learned from the site that this means it is around 146 pounds. It has a nice high pitch ring when struck on the horn or heel, slightly lower when struck on the face or body.

I have read in the forum about cleaning the rust off with naval jelly. This Anvil has not been used in some time and has serious rust build up.

My primary concern is the large piece missing on the anvil face.
My questions are, approximately how old is the anvil? is it repairable? what is it made of, wrought iron or cast?
I have read that the face on some anvils are steel seperate from the body. how would I tell?
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

post-21802-0-12324900-1308495901_thumb.j

post-21802-0-15797100-1308495919_thumb.j

post-21802-0-34889000-1308495935_thumb.j

post-21802-0-53331700-1308495948_thumb.j

Welcome Scott,
There's plenty of past threads re anvil repair here.........Don't sweat the rust, just clean it with a wire brush, or grinder mounted cup brush. It's wrought iron with a tool steel face, forge welded on......Using it as is would be ok, I've seen allot worse..........mb

I totally agree, it ain't broke enough to need fixen. I have seen and worked on much worse. Whatever you do don't take a grinder disk to that anvil, that face will get clean with regular forging. Get some steel to the proper forging temperature and forge it on down and all that surface rust will soon disappear. The rust on the body, that's the part that is wrought iron, is more like a patina on copper or bronze. It only goes so deep and stops. It is more like a protective coating and prevents further rusting from atmospheric moisture. The tool steel face plate will continue to rust however so keep on forging. NOW if you do decided to repair that chip in the face it is not something to be entered into on a whim. This is serious business and not just any half assed welder, you will need someone who can weld anvils and this isn't for the faint of heart. Read all of the posts on anvil repair here that you can. I don't like to see just anyone tackle this task because more good, totally functional anvils are ruined by good intentions than by the abuse of the hammer. <_<

I totally agree, it ain't broke enough to need fixen. I have seen and worked on much worse.....

I agree too. The anvil seems to have a reasonably flat face and plenty of edges that are in working order. I suggest making a stand for it and try using it as it is. My main shop anvil has some "character" to it including a sway/dip in the center which I have learned to use to my advantage to straighten stuff. Now when I am working at someone's flat anvil I have a tendency to look around for one that has a bit of sway/dip in it. You have a nice anvil.

I thank you for your advice. I do not currently have a forge, or a way to heat metal, although that would make my projects infinitely easier. I will look for some threads on how to build a forge, and a base for the anvil. I will leave the anvil alone as you suggested.
Thanks,
Scott

Scott - I have a PW slightly heavier than yours (1-1-17)but same design: "Peter Wright Patent" without the words "Solid Wrought" in a circle near the name, a distinct seam where the base was forge welded to the upper anvil body and a flat "lip" running width-wise across the top of the feet. The odds are that your anvil was made sometime between 1852 and 1860. You have a working heirloom now - Work only hot metal on it and take care of it like any good tool and your great-great-grandkids will be using it to the envy of many.

A forge can be as simple as a hole in the ground with a piece of blackpipe taking air from a hair dryer to the bottom of the hole and using real charcoal, not briquettes!, for fuel.

Another common starter forge is easily made from a brake drum and some plumbing fittings.

Forges are a lot simpler to build than most folks credit! Blacksmithing is not some "if I tell you I would have to kill you" voodoo art---especially in the USA where most folks smithing are happy to help you get started! Find your local group and attend some meetings and start having *fun* with red hot metal!